Interlude: The Betrayal | Teen Ink

Interlude: The Betrayal

A scream. It rang into the night, louder than even your alarm clock on a day where the world just seems to end. He laughed at her, watching as she struggled from her restrains, crying from the metal burning her flesh. She couldn’t believe him…she had trusted him for so long…and he betrayed her. Another scream into the night. What a joke it had been. He meant it all along she knew t, starting from the first time they met…

He was that one kid. You know what I mean by that, right? The one kid, whom everyone loved, worshipped at his feet, both loving and fearing him at the same time. He was the one everyone thought was perfect, gorgeous... His name? Dara Conleth, star of the school’s soccer team. White blonde hair that never seemed like he did anything with it, bright yellow eyes that always seemed to be following you…such a pale complexion. And that’s just the head. He always wore dress shirts, never tucked in or straightened out, bottom 3 buttons always undone. But, nonetheless, all the girls loved him, the guys wanted to be him. Everyone’s dream…then there was her…

She wasn’t anything special, nothing worth mentioning. She was just kind of…well…there. Born and given to science, experimented on, then thrown away like a broken toy. She lived in a lonely unforgiving world, waiting for life to be finished with her and do as the world had done already so long ago. Monday Haruki, member of the Cooking and Art clubs, great student…but still, nothing special to anyone. She had long, white hair, with what people would call the "emo" bang, colored with streaks of pinks, blues, and purples. Deep, blood red eyes that seemed as if they could stay into your very soul, her ears pointed as if she were part fairy, wings that looked as if they cam of a tiny dragon…skin just a tiny bit tanned. And the rest of her? She dressed kind of gothic, with her always-present pendent found around her neck at all times…and nobody seemed to like her…no family, no friends…just her teddy, the orphanage, and herself.

And when they first met? Well, no coincidence that was…or was it?

Everyone in their class seemed to be stalling in hopes to put off their class project till tomorrow. Monday just seemed to stare out the window, daydreaming. She didn’t want to know who her partner was, or even pick them out. She always ended up getting stuck with someone too lazy to do his or her half of the work, causing her to spend sleepless nights fixing and finishing the project, only to watch as her partner was awarded with the A they didn’t deserve! So, instead of trying to help put off the inevitable, she sat quietly in the back of the class, waiting to be forced brutally back into reality by her teacher.

Dara, on the other hand, was trying to help stall the class. He didn’t want to be stuck with some dork for the whole month, working on stupid project. The teacher just seemed to smile and answer their questions as if he didn’t know what they were trying to do. He glanced at the clock. An hour left of class. ‘C’mon time move faster!’ his mind practically screamed, his eyes drilling holes into the shiny glass surface.

“Well,” Mr. Henry said, waving the kids’ hands down. They knew what was coming next. “Since Monday and Dara seemed to be spaced out doing class today, they get to be the first partners for this project!”

“WHAT?!” Dara and Monday yelped in unison.

“You can’t put me with her!”

“Please don’t put me through that torture!” They glared at each other. The teacher just smiled. Monday slumped down in her chair, mumbling angrily. Dara turned toward his friend, who seemed to be grinning evilly.

“What are you thinking?” Dara asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Wanna play a joke?” Dara smiled and nodded. His friend grabbed his sleeve and pulled him in closer to whisper in his ear.

After school, Dara followed Monday to her foster house to start the project. He went over their plan over and over again, making sure he knew how to execute it perfectly without her suspecting a thing.

“Let’s get this over with…” She quickly unlocked the front door and led the way in. “Hello? Anyone home?” The house was still, the only noise being the sound of the leaky faucet in the kitchen. She shook her head and looked back at him. He stood in the doorway, shyly shifting his weight from one foot to the other.

“No one’s home but you can come in,” she said. “Just take your shoes off in the doorway. Shannon would kill me if I let someone track dirt into the house.” Dara nodded, quickly pulling off his shoes and closing the door behind him. Monday beckoned him forward, leading them into her small bedroom, which consisted of nothing more than a television, bed, and a dresser. She sat on the edge of her bed, slinging her bag to the floor. He sat down next to her and laid back.

“So what are we studying again?” He asked. Monday didn’t answer. He could hear her unzipping her bag and pull something out. “Hello, Mc Fly?” He felt something heavily land on his stomach.

“Ow, hey!” he yelped, pushing himself up. The book fell onto the floor with a heavy thump. He looked at her, then at the thick book now resting on her floor. Dara picked it up, slowly studying the cover. Fancy golden cursive flowed across the top of the thick maroon book, spelling out “Holocaust”. “‘Holocaust’?” he read, obviously confused. “What the deuce is that?” Monday smiled and shook her head.

“You’re stupider than I thought,” she said, laughing. ‘Perfect!’ he thought, leaning closer to her.

“Oh my sweet Moony…” he whispered into her ear. “It’s comments like that that make me want you more…” Monday felt herself blush and pull away.

“Wh-wh-what?” she sputtered, terrified. He smirked.

“Didn’t you notice the way I look at you? I’ve always loved you…” Monday looked at him, shocked.

“Bu-” He placed a finger over her mouth, shushing her.

“Don’t talk...you’ll ruin it…” He placed his hand under her chin, pulling her face closer to his. She could smell his hot breath as they came closer. And then…they kissed. He kissed her, hard, but yet…passionate at the same time. He gently brought her down toward the bed, caressing her body slowly. She hoped nothing would ruin this moment ever…

Well, Monday thought she was really “in love” with Dara, which was great, for Dara and his buddy. He knew that the longer he kept her convinced, the better the ending would be, which leads us to where our story began…

“How could you do this to me?” Monday whispered through her tears angrily. She looked up at him. “WHY WOULD YOU!”

“Don’t you see…” Dara smirked, walking toward her. “This was my plan from the start…I never liked you…it was all a plot to get ride of you…one last freak at my school. And I’ll continue doing this until every last one of you people are GONE!” He laughed manically, sending shivers down Monday’s spin. The metalof the thick, iron chains burned her skin and she howled. He kneeled down in front of her, still smirking. He pulled her closer to him and whispered, “Screaming will just make it burn more…” He pulled a bloodstained dagger out from behind his back and waved it in front of her.

“The only way to end your misery…” He whispered, shoving it into her heart. Monday gasped for air, coughing up blood everywhere. With her dieing breath she whispered, “You’ll pay for this…” and she fell over. Her chest stopped moving, her breath ceased to come out. He had accomplished his goal. He pulled the dagger out, licking the side of it. The hot taste of her blood filled his mouth. He took one more glance at her cold, lifeless body, before turning away and walking down the tall mountain.

For weeks the cops pursued the case, to agree to runaway…then murder by another. With no DNA to match it to, the cops put it to rest. No one every expected the oh-so-popular Dara Conleth. Except for her…

Soon after the Monday murder, Dara died from an unknown cause. Doctors couldn’t trace what killed him or why he died. Some think it was Monday’s spirit back from the grave, getting the revenge she deserved…others say it was just bad karma…

To this day, neither the Monday murder or Dara mystery have been solved…some think that, to this day, both Monday and Dara roam the halls of that very school…Dara getting into the minds of boys…encouraging them to do what he had done, while Monday gets those girls to fight back. But, then again…this is just a story…or…is it?

hi7675654586 said...
on Sep. 19 2008 at 1:39 am
What the heck??????????? Very strange.

Keep it up, Miss Perfect. I want to read more.