Thirteen Days Ago | Teen Ink

Thirteen Days Ago

The one person I hate the most? My best friend. She used to be the sweetest person I know, and we talked for hours. Now, it's like she's from a different planet. A planet named Doomsville, where all residents are required to have an entirely black wardrobe and always have hair hanging in their pale faces.

I look at her now, from my solitary spot in the cafeteria, and wonder. I wonder why this happened to her, to me. I wonder what she's thinking, and if she knows I'm eating alone for the fourteenth day in a row. She must. Everyone else does. I regress into the ultimate state of dorkiness as I pull out my Science homework and figure out the complicated problems. I feel two hundred pairs of eyes laughing silently at me.

A few moments go by silently, and I quietly pray they last. Unfortunately, they don't. The table in front of me shakes as someone I don't know sits down in front of me. He smiles and I notice his dimples.

"What'cha reading?" He asks, before taking my book and skimming the cover. He lets out a low whistle. "Whoa. Truly a classic."

I ignore him, just wanting to be a dork in peace. And then I feel it.

It's cold and sticky and smells sour. I put a shaking hand to my drenched head, realizing the boy had been a distraction. She did this. I'm confident she did, because she's the only one evil enough. I'm about to cry, but then I realize what she dumped on me. So instead I scream.

I scream and run towards her, and I'm sure I look absolutely nuts, but a tackle her and wrap my hands around her neck. At first she fight but then she stop moving all together.

It's then I realize what I've done. I killed my best friend.

The next thing I know I'm in my bed, screaming and crying at the same time. I feel the back of my head, but it's dry. It was a dream. The same dream I've been having for the past thirteen days. It was thirteen days ago I first felt the urge to hurt her, kill her if it came to it. Thirteen days ago when she dumped the sour milk on my head. Thirteen days ago when I was expelled for choking her, almost to death.

I came up with this story after a nightmare. In the nightmare, I was standing in my kitchen, and my cousin dumps sour milk on my head before choking me to death.

on Oct. 18 2008 at 2:50 am
wow...this is deep...very deep...keep writing!!

me said...
on Sep. 15 2008 at 12:04 am
this was awesome!

HIimAins=] said...
This is truely remarkable. Almost amusing, but very emotional. I felt like i was with you, which honestly was kind of scary =] really great story though.