Train | Teen Ink

Train

August 31, 2008
By Anonymous

Guts in the brain, moves the body like crazy. I sit at the train station, with guts in my brain, and my brain is nowhere. I wish I could know who is getting off that train, maybe I will soon, maybe not, but I have guts in my brain because I know they will get off today. I will have to face them today.
Will I like them? Do they have guts in their brain? Do they cry out for me in secret like I for them? I wish I knew how to get the guts out, but of course they will stay. How would they not when I;m meeting my...
Who am I meeting again? I have a condition because I'm old, at least that's what my daughter told me, or maybe not, she might be dead. Everyone I know is dead, sorry knew. And if that wasn't normal for being old then I'd want myself dead. But hey, who cares, I'll just forget that everyone's dead. And I'll sit in the park on some nice sunny day, sipping coffee or tea, and I'll tell myself that I'm in love, I'll say that I'm a father, I'll say that I'm a grandpa. And watch, you'll see, all those fears, all those hates, they'll all melt away because what you might call a curse is actually a gift from the gods! Maybe that's why only old people get this condition.
The train has stopped, and someone gets off. The conductor, he looks worried, but followed close behind him is good. I remember. I was hit by this train and I have no way of living, the man following the conductor is a friend that I welcome. He is all dressed in black; he gives me a smile, then a nod. He is old, old as time, he understands. And now I am off, with no further farewell, I'm off to a place to be happy, and where they all understand.


The author's comments:
I was inspired to write this when I heard a old woman at the doctors office asking if her husband was dead. The woman who she was with hushed her and told her, "Yes, everyone's dead."