excerpt from 'Dangers and Angels' | Teen Ink

excerpt from 'Dangers and Angels'

By Kaylie Baldwin BRONZE, Grandville, Michigan
Kaylie Baldwin BRONZE, Grandville, Michigan

Almot three weeks ago, my friends and I were sent to a "correction camp". By friends, I mean Simone and Lexy, my best friends from my orphanage, and Simone's boyfriend, Brandon.
We were sent becasue Peter of Peter's Pizza said we'd broken into his house and stolen six pepperoni pizzas! I don't even like pepperoni! But, despite my frequent protests, the orphanage said it was "correction camp" or jail. We chose "correction camp". I wish we'd chosen jail.
"Every one of ya, get in yer lines! It's back to work!" Ms. Linchbottom, the lunch instructor, screeched at the dirty, rough-handed kids only half-finished with their lunches.
We were outside, in about four hundred degree weather. Sweat was pouring in large drops off of everyone's faces. Well, almost everyone. One kid, Ricky, who was sitting with me and my friends, was so used to the heat that he wasn't sweating a drop. No one knew how long he'd been at boot camp.
This was the day of our big escape plan. Ms. Linchbottom would start going towards us when we didn't get back in line, and we would run like heck. Great plan, huh?
So, when she saw us, just sitting at our table instead of in our lines, and started towards us, we knew what to do. Run.
Ms. Linchbottom ran after us, and grabbed Simone and Lexy. Brandon doubled back to get his girlfriend, and Linchbottom got him, too.
Maybe I should explain what happend when you try to leave camp. The capital punishment? Blood and gore? In simpler words, you die. So, naturally, I started freaking out.

To find out what happens to Simone, Brandon, and Lexy, read more next time!

My piece is actually really long, so if anyone is interested in getting the whole thing at once, comment and I will get back to you.