Trapped | Teen Ink

Trapped

February 28, 2013
By SofiaElena SILVER, NYC, New York
SofiaElena SILVER, NYC, New York
8 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Trapped. Corner after corner offers nothing but the same cold, harsh, grey, silence as the last. You duck, as a thought wizzes by you, just missing the top of your head. Taking a strand or two of your hair along with it. It must have been a happy one. Happy thoughts, they don’t belong here. Nothing happy could ever belong here. So it flies away, and as suddenly as it was here, it is gone. You see the ladder, the one chance you have of escaping. You reach for it, and just as you grab it, it falls apart—just as it does every time. You fall to your knees. You’re tired of hoping, of dreaming of a way out, when there’s no escape. When there’s been no escape all along. Another thought, a dark, heavy one trudges on by. This one sticks to the walls. It brushes up against you, and the last bit of color that belonged to you is gone. The hope you once had of getting out, of being able to feel again, to sing again, to be embraced by the colors, has disappeared. The little girl you used to be waves goodbye as you close your eyes. There’s nothing left for you here. There will be no more ladders to try to climb, for the last one has broken. The walls, concealed with darkness, swallow you whole.

This girl that once saw beauty in everything, soon saw pain everywhere. The fight she once thought she could win, was lost. Entrapped by her own mind, overrun with hurt and then none at all, she gave up. She gave up, and set herself free.