Audrey and the Devil’s Daughter | Teen Ink

Audrey and the Devil’s Daughter

Audrey stared at herself in the mirror and sighed. She never liked how she looked. Her eyes were too big and made even larger by her oversized glasses, her cheeks were always a little puffy, her nose was tiny, and her lips were too thin. Her face was dotted with acne half of the time and her frizzy curly, hazelnut hair made her head look balloon shaped. And that was just above her giraffe like neck. Her body just made it worse; it was an addition to her ugly, “balloon-esque” look. Even though her mom always told her she was “pleasantly plump”, she knew that was just a euphemism for “fat”. Her arms and legs were chubby and were attached to “man hands” as her sister, Angelique, called them.

Angelique.

Audrey began to cry when she thought of her twin, fraternal sister. She really lived up to the “angel” in her name. She was a pretty, blue eyed, petite blond with completely perfect features. She was also smart and involved in everything, from head varsity cheerleader, to the student body president. She was the girl who all the boys drooled over and the girls wanted to be clones of. Everyone thought she was the next Miss Congeniality.

Everyone except Audrey, that is.

It always angered that everyone, even their parents, couldn’t see her for the devil she was. There wasn’t a day that passed that Angelique hadn’t made some sneering comment about her sister. Everyone always laughed along, because it was Angelique. They sometimes even pitied her for being so beautiful and smart and having a “hideous” relation. “You’re, like, a martyr.” one girl had said once.

Yeah, right.

Later, she left her house and stepped into the overly foggy and windy morning to, as usual, walk to school, alone. She always went early so she could avoid her sister and her entourage who usually came much later. She had to constantly stop and check her glasses to make sure they weren’t’ fogging up from the weather.

Or her tears.

She recalled the night before, when her parents went out to dinner, and she and Angelique were home by themselves. Audrey had been upstairs, in her room doing homework while her sister was downstairs, on the phone having a conversation with one her many friends. And Audrey just happened to eavesdrop on that conversation.

“Yeah, uh huh,” Angelique had said. “I know right. I sometimes can’t believe Audrey is my sister. She’s just so ugly and geeky. I’ve always wished I were an only child. Ooh, maybe she’s one of those ‘mistake babies’ ”

Audrey had only managed to keep in her tears long enough to finish her homework, then she burst into tears in the shower and kept crying while she changed into her pajamas, brushed her teeth, and made her way to bed. When her mother had checked on her and asked what was wrong, Audrey spilled everything. And what had she said?

“Sweetie, you’re sister probably was kidding. Or maybe, you took her comment the wrong way. You’re too sensitive sometimes, and unfortunately a little bit of a crybaby; Angelique didn’t mean what you thought she meant. Now stop these silly tears”

But she had meant what she said, and Audrey knew it. But her mother, like everyone else, thought Angelique could do no wrong. That she was perfect, an “angel”.

Why does she get away with EVERYTHING? Everyone thinks she’s so wonderful, but she’s not, she’s not; she’s mean and selfish, she’s like…she’s like…

“I think she’s like a witch in a saint’s guise”

Audrey looked around for the source of those words, but it was difficult to see in the fog; she could barely see where she was going. She finally could make out the outline of a small, eerie figure standing there. The figure beckoned her to come close and Audrey automatically moved toward it, intrigued. When she got close enough to see the figure, she was a little surprised at the sight of a little girl.

Strange.

The little girl was indeed strange. She looked to be around five or six, and she was so tiny and thin. The gray dress with a red fringe hung loosely on her fragile body of sour looking skin. But it was eyes that Audrey couldn’t pull herself away from. They were a shining, crimson red, matching the same hued streaks that heavily lined the otherwise jet black hair, which was pulled into a ponytail. Some loose bangs were hanging over her face and the consistent light wind was blowing them across it, adding more eerie intensity in that moment. The little girl’s eyes were fixed squarely on Audrey’s and there was a little smile on her face. But not the kind of a little kid who just wheedled some candy out of a relative, no, she looked…

“Sinister?” the little girl spoke. “Good, that’s the point. I’m supposed to look that way.”

“Who are you?” Audrey asked. “I’ve never seen you around here before. And this is a small town; everyone knows everybody else.”

“I know,” the girl replied. “I’m just visiting.”

“With your family? Oh dear, are you lost?”

“Oh no. And as for my family, they’re not here. I’ve never met my mother. And my daddy; well he’s very busy. He works a lot.”

“What does he do?”

“Lots of stuff.”

“Like what?”

The girl’s smile got a smidge bigger. And mischievous, but in a creepy way.

“Oh, like, corrupting souls, seeking out those already so, striking Faustian like deals. The usual stuff you’d expect from someone like him.”

Audrey frowned. “He reminds me of my twin sister. In personality, I mean. Her name is…”

“Angelique?” the girl interrupted. “Yes, I’m aware.”

“What? But how?”

“She’s on my daddy’s list.”

Audrey’s curiosity rose. “List?”

“Yes. My daddy keeps endless lists of those with corrupted souls over the many years. Your sister is on what I call the “Deacon Peabody” list.”

“Deacon Peabody? What does that mean?”

“From The Devil and Tom Walker?”

“Sorry, doesn’t ring a bell.”

“Ah well. The point is I’m very aware of her true colors. Everyone thinks she’s next to God, but we both know better, don’t we?”

Audrey was silent.

“Angelique is no ‘martyr’. She is about as nice as a hyena, and just as cunning and sneering. Yet, everybody loves Angelique and not you. It is true life isn’t fair, but doesn’t it seem too much so for you? That must really hurt. It does, doesn’t it?”

Audrey couldn’t help gasping in surprise. How could this little kindergartner already have me figured out in the few minutes we’ve known of each other’s existence? And the way she is talking about her father, he sounds like…

“Is your father the devil? And I mean, really the devil?”

The girl giggled. “Good, you’ve figured it out. As least you’re one of the smarter of your kind.”

“So, you’re…”

“The devil’s daughter? Hell’s princess? Child of Satan and of evil? Yes, at your service.”

Audrey stood there stunned. This girl sounded so sure, so proud… it was hard to believe she was lying.

“Do you have a name?”

“Clytemnestra. Like the lady in Greek mythology.”

“Why are you here?”

“I wanna help you.”

“How?”

“Daddy’s not the only one with the power.”

“Why?”

The girl giggled again. “Because, it’s fun.”

Audrey looked at her inquisitively. How could this girl help her?”

“Let’s make a deal.”

A deal?

“Why not? You want to be Angelique, you want the original gone, and be loved by everyone, don’t you?”

“But what would you get out of it?”

“As I said fun. And I can show my daddy that I’m just as good as he is at what he does.”

Audrey considered the girl’s offer. True, her sister wasn’t a saint, but did she really want her dead? She wasn’t that bad. Was she?

But then she remembered.

“She’s just so ugly and geeky. I’ve always wished I were an only child. Ooh, maybe she’s one of those ‘mistake babies’ ”

All the years of hurt and anger came back. Of which she did never deserve. Only one thing hung on her mind right then: revenge.

“What do I have to do?”

That day passed Audrey by in a blur. She was only focused on one thing: her deal with Clytemnestra. She was going to carry out her part tonight.

Angelique won’t be an angel for much longer.

Audrey acted normally when she got home. She had to look like nothing had changed. It would make them more surprised when she did her deed.

They’ll all pay.

After she’d finished her homework, Audrey set about preparing for what she’d do tonight. She locked all the windows and doors except for the front door, from which she would escape later. She raided her family’s garage/ shed and kitchen for some things she’d need.

This would be so simple.

But the one thing she didn’t like about Clytemnestra’s plan is the illogical order it had to be done in. “It’ll work best that way for both us” she’d said. But it was still very risky. What if she went back on her part of the bargain? Then Audrey would end up dead.

It’d better work.

At last, her parents and Angelique had gone to bed. She knew Angelique would be up talking to some friend, or doing something for school. Her parents would be asleep. Perfect.

Almost time.

She went upstairs, to her room and retrieved items she’d stashed: the machete her father keeps in the tool shed, an empty plastic jar that used to hold pretzel sticks, all the cooking fuel she could find, and a box of matches. She knew what she had to do.

She went downstairs and doused everything with the cooking fuel, leaving only a path to the front door. Then she went upstairs and did the same with whatever was left. The only rooms without cooking fuel were now all the bedrooms.

Now it begins.

Audrey lit a match and tossed on the couch from the top stair to the couch below. It instantly caught aflame, and soon the fire was spreading.

Time is running out.

She stepped into Angelique’s room, locking the door behind her and the machete hidden behind her back in one hand. Angelique was doing her nails, every polish design pristine. The last thing she’d ever do.

Angelique turned and sneered at her. “Well if it isn’t my darling sister. What is it?”

Audrey stared at her, reconsidering what she was about to do. But only briefly.

“Come on retard, don’t waste my time.” Angelique paused and sniffed the air. “Wait a minute. Do I smell smoke?”

She got up, as if to leave, but Audrey blocked her path.

“What are doing?!”

Audrey shoved her down and raised the machete above her head. “What I’ve wanted to do for a long time.”

Any scream Angelique could’ve made was cut short, for her neck the first place Audrey struck. She kept stabbing and her and stabbing her, all of her pain giving her the strength to go on, until her sister was barely recognizable. Audrey made one final blow, using the machete to stab Angelique one final time, piercing her heart.

“Angelique is a rotten person,” Clytemnestra had said. “The only way to truly be rid of her is to destroy her at her core. To kill her heart.”

Next, Audrey ran over her parents’ room to see them coming out.

Her mom screamed. Her father was shouting “Come on, we’ve got to get Angelique and…

Audrey shoved her father back into the room and he landed on their mother. She slammed the door. She still had some cooking fuel with her and she threw it on the door, lit another match and threw it. The door burst into flames.

“Your parents never stopped Angelique,” Clytemnestra had continued. “They always have adored your sister and never you. They should be punished as well.”

“You never loved me. You always loved Angelique,” Audrey screamed. “Since you love her so much I’ll do you a favor. You can all die together!”

“They all die together,” Clytemnestra’s deal was simple. “Kill them all. And when you kill Angelique, make sure you stab her heart as well. Destroy you hyena sister and foolish parents and I’ll transform you into the next Angelique. I’ll make people love you.”

She turned and walking away from her parents’ screams and cries of desperation. She lit a third match and lit upstairs. Dousing the stairs on her way down with the last remaining of the fuel she lit them. Then, she ditched the machete.

Hurry!

The house was almost entirely in flames and Audrey was starting to cough from the smoke. She hurried away from the burning stairs and found her way to the only part of the house she hadn’t put cooking fuel on, her way to the front door, her escape.

Almost there.

She finally reached the front door and opened her. And sure enough, there was the devil’s daughter standing there, smiling evilly.

“Well done,” she said. She held out her hand and suddenly, crimson flames lit the doorway, seemingly blocking Audrey’s exit.

“What are you doing?” she cried. “I can’t get out!”

“Yes you can,” Clytemnestra replied calmly. Take my hand and just go through the flames.”

“What! I’ll get burnt!”

“It’s the only way.”

Audrey started to panic. This girl was insane! This whole thing was insane!

“Don’t you trust me?”

Audrey didn’t know how to answer.

“If you don’t get out now, your burning house will come down on top of you.”

It was now or never.

Audrey took her hand and stepped through the flames.

Several years later

Audrey stared at herself in the mirror of her bedroom in her ritzy Beverly Hills apartment. It had been years since what the police called “a horrible tragedy” claimed the lives of her sister and parents. The working theory was that some crazy person had an obsession with Angelique and when she rejected the person, she/he (probably a he) went ballistic and broke into the house and killed her. Then the house was burned down in an attempt to cover up the crime and only the youngest daughter made it out.

Damned fools, they’re not even close.

Since any physical evidence was lost in the fire, the police had grilled her in an attempt to get some, if any, kind of good lead. Of course, their efforts were useless. Clytemnestra had told her what to say long before they came to see her at the hospital.

Everything worked out perfectly. Just like we planned

Audrey wasn’t ugly anymore; no she looked like a model. Her hair was now cut short and fitted her flawless, elfin face perfectly. She was a size 9 before the fire; now she was a size 3. Her glasses for once, now complimented her, her now icy green eyes shining wickedly through them.

And her looks hadn’t just changed, her entire life had changed. She was the new Queen Bee in high school and in college; she was the head of the biggest sorority on campus. After, she had become an actress, catching her first big break quickly and was soon soaring to success. Now she was living in Beverly Hills, California in an apartment with almost every luxury known to woman. She had many movies and TV shows with her name in the credits, most of them in starring roles. She was rich and famous, living the dream life.

And it’s all thanks to Clytemnestra

A knock sounded at her door. She went over and opened it. Hell’s princess was standing there, with the same gray dress, black hair, and red eyes looking right at her.

“Well, what a surprise.” Audrey said.

Clytemnestra smiled. “So, who are we going after today?”

Audrey had long ago learned that the best way to get to the top is to get rid of the other competition.