Perspective | Teen Ink

Perspective

August 23, 2008
By Anonymous

“Hey, watch where you’re going!”
“What? Oh, sorry I didn’t see you there.”
“Humph. Kids these days have no respect, not even for the blind.”
“Blind?”
“Yes, blind! Can’t you tell, or are the cane and sunglasses not enough?”
“Oh, right, I guess I didn’t notice th…”
“Sure you didn’t...”
“Hey man, I said I was sorry, what else do you want?”
“How about a little respect or don’t they teach that in school now-a-days?”
“Okay, okay. I get it; you don’t get the respect you deserve. No one cares about you, right? No one notices you, right? Everyone ‘accidentally’ walks into you on the street, right?”
“Yep, that’s about right.”
“Seems to me that you have a grim out look on life.”
“Huh, does it now.”
“Yes.”
“Well maybe I have reason to, or doesn’t that make sense to you? You don’t know what it’s like to be blind; not being able to see the sunrise over the ocean, the blooming flowers in the spring, or the scarlet leaves in the fall, your loved ones. I wasn’t always this way, blind I mean, it wasn’t until about fifteen years ago that I lost my sight.”

“And you never let go of the past, did you?”

“Let go? You don’t know what you’re talking about, how can you let go of the simple pleasure of sight, how can you forget.”

“I’m not telling you to forget, or to do anything for that matter, but it appears to me that you’re dwelling on the past and bumming yourself out. You should be living in the now and enjoying everything you can get out of life; like the smell of the roses in the morning and the warmth of the sunshine on your face. And, you could always look towards the future…”

“Future? What does the future hold for me other than another dark day?”

“Technology is improving everyday. I heard that they’re coming up with a system of impla…”

“Yeah, ‘coming up with’ in other words it will be useful by the time I die.”

“Hey, I was just trying to help.”

“You can help by going away.”

“Alright man, if that’s what you want,” the young man said, and with a tug on his seeing-eye-dog’s leash started home.