Cabin Fever This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I could hear a man breathing, slow and steady. The sound was enough to stir me from my slumber. I opened my eyes carefully, but my attempts to see were futile.

Unlike in the city, there were no lights to illuminate the night around my vacation home. It was a gloomy night, and the woods could be so dark. The sharp objects that had filled my sight in the day were replaced now by ominous figures that blended into the darkness.

Another sound to my right. What is it? Who is it? There can’t be anyone out there; there can’t be anyone in here. It is impossible.

I was choking on fear, and I could only imagine how blue my face had become. My brain couldn’t compute this silence, and I was left with a ringing in my ears. Without any reference to time, I stared at the ceiling for what felt like hours.

My body tingled, and curiosity called me to action. Slowly I slipped a foot off the bed and searched for the floor. It was colder than I expected. The bed creaked and the floor cracked as my body stiffened from the shock. All was lost now – he was aware of my consciousness.

I had no choice but to thrust my body out of bed. I could hear him react with lightning speed through the house. Was he running? No, he was going to finish the job.

I ran across the room, or at least I attempted to. There isn’t a whole lot of successful running in the dark. I bruised my legs on the furniture, and I scraped my chest on the mantle. Even in the absence of light, there was no mistaking the blood that now ran down my torso.

I had to keep going. What had tormented me as a child was now here. It would be different this time though. The sounds were so close, I could feel him. I had to do something before he did. It was time to act.

I reached for the fire poker. I didn’t even think about what I did next. I had trained myself – I was prepared. There was a satisfying thud, and I knew it was over. I dropped the poker, and found the light switch that had previously eluded me. I needed to see what I had accomplished, whom I had defeated. But with the flick of the switch, I could see no reason to celebrate … only a broken mirror, and my own bloody reflection.

Matt H. said...
Ok anyone who doesn't get this read the title... the guy has Cabin Fever A.K.A. he's extremely paranoid.
Great job, I would like a little more build up at the beginning. If you introduce the idea that the character is terrified too early in the story it does not have as much as an effect on the audience. Keep up the good work ;)

Rebecca G. said...
BRILLIANT!! i loved it, great ending, so descriptive! WOW!

hola14 said...
One word: wow! Great theme and ending.

luvtwilight said...
what happened? did the person kill himself? I was a little confused, but I guess that's my fault not yours.

YeseniaG said...
Mar. 30, 2009 at 7:59 pm:
at one point i also thought it was the boogey man but i really liked the ending. great story. i actually like the length of it. cuts to the chase.

uber epic noob pewner said...
Mar. 17, 2009 at 6:24 pm:
that was weir at first but wat was going through the cabin was it the wind .....also i though that it was the boogie man at one poit

sallysunshine said...
Mar. 13, 2009 at 5:54 pm:
Very creative story. Keep on keepin on, champ.

Taran, E. said...
Feb. 18, 2009 at 3:04 pm:
Ok I liked, it was really well done and i like the writing style. And i think you did a really good job. And whoever thinks this story is inappropriate i would like to have a word with about how this story in the least bit is inappropriate. Good job and i think you did well describing everything too! Keep it up!

husa said...
it is a inapriate story

maggierocks11 said...
good?

Sara04 said...
Dec. 11, 2008 at 2:54 am:
If there was actually no one in the cabin, then what was running through the cabin? was he just dreaming it even though he was running and hurting himself?

xBassRoxOutLoudx said...
Great story! Loved the way you mixed the feeling with the setting and the tone. Sent the shivers up my spine :-D

ponylover11 said...
i had to read it a couple times before i got it...

DonnieMangino said...
How cool, the true enemy is the man in the mirror! Great, great job!

bobyjo199738i like eating apples and pie and binde said...
I like how your story starts, it pulls you in and makes you want to keep reading.

SecretSparkle said...
Sept. 28, 2008 at 1:38 am:
I love it =]

amanda said...
Have you ever read 2DIE4, it speaks of much the same thing as you have written about.

Johannes Climacus said...
That was great, especially the tone. I also loved the ending, it reminded me of William Wilson, one of my favorite short stories...

AnnotatorOfMen said...
Sept. 22, 2008 at 2:22 am:
Are we fighting ourselves, or our sins? To what end to we run?

Chief Warlock said...
Loved it, specially the theme. Waiting to read some more of your creation. Good Luck.