Two Best Friends | Teen Ink

Two Best Friends

By marissa.spillman GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
marissa.spillman GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

They are the only ones who love one another. I am the only one who gets it. Two best friends with confused feelings and longing thoughts like mine. Two who are not right for each other but are. Two best friends with a secret. From afar I watch them, but they just won’t believe their feelings.

Their feelings are secret. They send hopeful hints to each other. They look far and they look near and grab the earth with their confused feelings and longing thoughts and stare at the sky and never quit their wondering. This is how they live.

Let them forget their reason for being, they’d both love one another for an eternity, with their arms around each other. Love, love, love I say to them. They hesitate.

When I am too exhausted and too drained to keep telling, when they just won’t listen to what we all have to say, then it is I look at their faces. When there is nothing left to say to those innocent faces. Two who love but don’t speak. Two who keep secrets, and don’t forget to keep them. Two whose only reason is to come clean.