Arrow in My Shoulder | Teen Ink

Arrow in My Shoulder

March 3, 2013
By kbatra SILVER, Needham, Massachusetts
kbatra SILVER, Needham, Massachusetts
6 articles 0 photos 12 comments

There was an arrow in my shoulder...

One day when I was walking by a busy Starbucks, a man with a bow and a half full quiver of arrows ran by. The man stopped suddenly and started firing arrows in the direction of the Starbucks. Someone screamed and everyone on the street dove to the ground for cover, and some of the people took out cell phones to call the police. The man just kept firing at the Starbucks, but was constantly missing because he had terrible aim, and was holding the bow upside down. There were a few shrieks of terror when arrows whizzed by, but no one seemed hurt.

When the man was out of arrows, he ran into an alley, and no one dared follow him. Then slowly, about 30 seconds later the policemen started arriving with their guns, and handcuffs, and tear gas, but they didn’t have to use it because the man with the bow was long gone.

Now everyone started to get up. I felt strangely tired and I was one of the last to stand, and when I did, I noticed that everyone was staring at me; and most of them looked horrified. I then looked at my lower body, but everything was fine. Then I looked at my reflection in the window of the Starbucks and, to my surprise, there was an arrow sticking out of my shoulder. I slowly turned my head and looked at my left shoulder. Blood covered my new white shirt and, at the far side of my shoulder there was the arrow, laughing at me; daring me to pull it out. I keep staring until I could stare no more. I tried to pull it out, but sudden pain engulfs me. All the pain I have been missing has now returned. I collapse into an engulfing darkness.





Apparently I was in a coma... I was in a coma for seven and a half months. When I woke up everyone was relieved, because they had almost given up on me. But then I noticed... The arrow was still there, taunting me. The doctor tells me that the man with the bow was never found, and that they couldn't operate on me while I was in a coma, in risk of killing me.

I tell the doctors to cut me up and do the surgery. I’d do anything to get rid of the arrow. They listen and operate as soon as they can. They knock me out and remove the arrow.When I wake up I cant move my arm. I tell the Doctor and he does some scans on my arm.

The doctor comes back the next day with terrible news. In the seven months I had been in a coma, the muscle in my arm had grown around the arrow, so I could move again, but when the doctors removed the arrow something terrible happened.

The removal of the arrow had destroyed all the tissue, and tendons, and muscle, and nerves, and much more in my shoulder. If i hadn’t removed the arrow I would be able to move my left arm, but now my left arm is permanently paralyzed. It will never move again.


The author's comments:
This is a sort-of sad story about a man what happens to him. It is a little bit violent and there is a sad ending...

Also a little bit random...