Climbing Everest | Teen Ink

Climbing Everest

“But I'm almost to the top,” James stated. And thats the last thing he could say. Before, well, you know.

Heres how it goes. Last Tuesday in school my friends and I were discussing mountains. Mainly, Mount everest. Wondering how so many people could fail climbing the the summit, we decided one day we were going to scale the enormous mountain and prove to everybody that its truly more possible than it seems. If 4 fourteen year old kids can climb to the peak, then surely some experienced climbers can make it.

Well today, 8 days later, is the day for our big expedition. We just started spring break so its the perfect time. We decided to tell our parents that we were going to camp. In order to get to Mount Everest we put all of our life savings' together and took two buses, and a plane, to get there. I know it wasn't the easiest means of travel but hey, what else can we do.

“James!”

“Whoa guys, did you hear that?” I asked.

Of course they didn't but I swear someone just said my name. Oh well. Back to the important topic right now, Everest. Today we start our climb. So we got all geared up and met at the base of the mountain. We are climbing independently due to the fact that we are only fourteen and I'm sure people would notice that we have no guardians with us. Call me crazy but I don't feel this is a good time to get caught. Not just yet. Let me make it halfway first.

“James!”

There it is again. I decided to ignore it this time. I don't want my friends to think I'm crazy. So anyways, here we are, climbing Mount Everest. At fourteen years old I'm sure we will be the youngest group to reach the peak. About 8 hours later we reached our first camp. We settled down and rested a little bit. We talked about what we should expect. No one was really afraid of what was to come. We got back climbing. When we reached about the half way point we decided to rest yet again. Another 15 minute break and we got back rolling. Here we are, halfway to the top of Mount Everest at the age of fourteen, the news should be here getting this on camera. “We have to keep it a secret though,” the guys reminded. As if I didn't know.

“Look guys, we're almost to the peak, its within spitting distance!”

Excitement set in as we neared closer. I could barely believe we were about to reach the top of Mount Everest. I put my hand on the top and was ready to hoist myself up when...

“James! I'm not going to tell you again! Get out of bed or your going to be late for school!”

“But, but, but mom I'm almost at the top!”

“The top of what James?”

“Mount...Never mind mom.”

“Okay well get up and get around, your going to miss the bus.”

Wow. That was all a dream. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't wait to tell the guys at school. I wasn't able to help but wonder if any of them had the same dream. Man, oh man. That was pretty real. It was almost as if I could feel the cold air and everything.

“And James...,” said mom.

“Yeahhhhhh?”

“Shut Your Window. Its cold outside.”

As a matter of fact, I don't think I'm going to say a word about this at school. I'd probably be better off that way. I'll keep as MY expedition to Everest.