Crushed | Teen Ink

Crushed

February 19, 2013
By Kristen Calderoni SILVER, Newark, New Jersey
Kristen Calderoni SILVER, Newark, New Jersey
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I rushed out of my seat as the school bell rung. Thank God it is Friday and the last class of the day. I walked quickly to my locker and grabbed all my books. When I was done I slammed my locker shut and was on my home. A few people gave me glares and made faces at me. I just wished that they would feel my pain. I’m sorry that I’m still sixteen and have ugly braces, wear glasses and that my straight blonde hair is always in a ponytail. Oh and one more thing, that my clothes don’t always match. How would you like to be me and I’m the one that makes fun of you? It’s people like the kids in school that I look at the bad side of everything. The main entrance door to the school was about ten steps in front of me, did I really walk that fast from my locker to downstairs? All of a sudden I felt a tug at my feet and before I knew it, someone tripped me and made me fall on my face.

“HAHAHAHA!!!” Some students were laughing at me. I got up and ran out the school to get away. I was so frustrated that someone would have the nerve to trip me. The weird part is that I don’t even know them and I’m pretty sure they don’t even know me. The sun was burning my eyes because that school is like a death trap and doesn’t have proper lighting. My eyes soon adjusted and I was prepared to take the twenty minute walk from school to my house. I was still thinking about the kid that tripped me; it made me madder and madder. I just wanted to punch the kid in the face, another part just wanted to break down and cry because of everything that these terrible teens at school and what they’ve done or said to me. Normally I would just shrug it off my shoulders and not let it bother me, but today I was enraged with anger and emotion. I just had to take it out on something. But what? With my thoughts in my mind I saw a little white butterfly fly right towards me. I swatted it away but it kept coming back. Oh great, another thing aggravating me I thought to myself. The butterfly stopped to rest on a tree and my anger took over to I squished the butterfly with a stick. After I did that I acted like nothing happened and walked the rest of the way home.

Once I reached my house I grabbed my keys from my pocket and fondled with them trying to pick the front door key. I heard my beagle Charlie howling from the inside. I was finally able to open the door after about a minute trying to find the stupid front door key.

“Hey Charlie.” I said giving him a rub on his head. I took off my shoes and placed my bag on the floor and laid on the floor for a little bit. Charlie walked over to me and licked my face a few times. I grabbed him and laid him down next to me. He stared at me with his big brown eyes. He’s such a cute dog, but he’s such a fatty and will try to eat anything if he can get it. I sighed and picked up my shoes and bag and placed them in my room in there spots. Everything in my room has it’s own spot, guess you can say I have some OCD. I then walked into the kitchen and opened up the fridge trying to find something to eat. Charlie was standing right by my side looking at all the food in the fridge.

“Charlie no.” I said squishing his face with my hands. He gave me the puppy dog eyes and that hits me every time when he does that. “Okay fine.” I went into the drawer and pulled out a piece of string cheese. Like I said Charlie eats anything. “Good boy.” I said patting his head giving him half of my piece. I went into my room and ate mine in peace. Least when I’m home alone it’s peaceful.
****

“Claire I’m home!” My mom called from the front door. Ugh, I was having a nice nap. Its five pm already? That was quick.

“Okay.” I said groggily. After about ten minutes of laying on my bed, I decided to get up and greet my mom. “Hi Mom.” I said giving her a hug.

“Hi how was school?” She asked me.

“Oh ya know.. just a normal day.” I said lying. “What’s for dinner?” I asked.

“Pasta, I’m gonna start making it now. Is that okay?” She asked. I nodded my head and went into the other room to watch TV. Since nothing is really on at five pm, I decided to watch the five o’clock news.

“And when we come back, we’ll hear about the butterfly named Wings that died today by the hands of a girl with blonde hair, glasses, and braces. Question is why did she do it and what caused her too? We’ll have Wings’ parents with us too to hear from them.”

“What the..” I said to myself. Did I just hear the news right? I couldn’t of; they clearly did not just say that some girl with blonde hair, glasses and braces killed a butterfly. Wait, a girl with blonde hair, glasses, and braces… that girl… is me.

“With me now, I have Wings’ parents, can you two please tell me the emotions that you are going through now?” The news member asked the two butterflies on the TV. I took my glasses off to clean my glasses and made sure I wasn’t seeing things.

“Well… I don’t see why some girl had to take her anger out on our son. All he wanted was to cheer the girl up because he looked sad.. but instead we end up losing our soon.” The one butterfly said.

“Just shows you that anger can really take over someone’s emotions and cause them to do things that they don’t want to do.. but this girl seem like she had the intensions to, did she not?” The news member asked the other butterfly.

“MOM!!! Do you see this on the news right now!?” I screamed to my mom in the kitchen. My mom came into the room to see what I was talking about.

“Honey, that’s just the weather they are showing.”

“No! There are two butterflies talking to the reporter on the news!” I said.

“Claire, it’s the weather… are you feeling okay?” My mom asked coming near me feeling my forehead. “You feel a little warm.” She looked at me real quick then walked away going back to making dinner. I shook my head in disbelief because I know what I’m seeing on the TV and it’s not the weather. I even pinched myself a couple of times to make sure I’m not dreaming. After watching the whole report of the butterflies, I felt sad. Sad because that little butterfly did deserve to live and me just taking my anger out on it and squishing it did not help my problems. Maybe next time I should take my anger out on a stick and break it. Or will that be reported on the news next and the news reporter will have to talk with the stick’s parents?