Writer's Block

The blank page taunts me. The blinking line on the screen grows impatient. It’s almost as if it’s saying “Have you thought of anything to write yet? How about now? Now?”

My brain has nearly stopped working. I have to write something, I think to myself. It’s only the middle of the story. I know what is going to happen at the end, but what happens next? Who’s even going to read this? Why would anybody be interested in the ramblings of a kid?

I shut my laptop, and flip my notebook closed. Maybe I’ll run out to the highway to get the mail. Nature is inspiring, right? There has to be a piece of the story floating out there somewhere. I leave and then come back. I open up the word processor, and un-cap my good pen. Nothing has changed except for the time in the corner of the screen.

Then I just start typing the first thought that pops into my head. It doesn’t have to be about the main character. I just need to type something. I don’t even look at the screen as my fingers dance on the keys. Pretty soon, I can’t think of anything anymore. I look back at the monitor, and look back at the monitor, and think about what I just wrote. All I did was curse myself out in writing.

I slam the computer shut, and stomp my way out the door and out to the train tracks.

“Think.” I order myself. I hear the train coming.

“Think” I tell myself again. The train isn’t slowing down.

“Come on, think. Think!” I repeat the words to myself. The train is speeding up.

“THINK!” I can see the conductor now, but he can’t see me. I close my eyes.

“THINK! THINK! THINK! THINK!”

I open my eyes, and look up at my Biology teacher, then back at my blank writing notebook.

“Got it.”

KealliiRaycene said...
May 5, 2013 at 2:05 pm:
You definitely captured the feeling of writer's block perfectly. A while back I read something that said writer's block is just when characters go on strike  You seemed to write what I cannot explain pretty well

holly1999This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I really liked this, you captured lots of emotions and this piece is very relatable. It's well written too - the description is amazing. I especially love the first paragraph. Great job :)

Allicat001 said...
Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:43 pm:
This was really good, you captured the emotions of writer's block well and I loved the analogy of the train!  Great job and keep writing!

AthenaMarisaDeterminedbyFateThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:02 pm :
I can totally relate to this piece. You have just put all of my thoughts from every day into writing, and you have done it incredibly well. Great piece!