Untitled | Teen Ink

Untitled

April 15, 2008
By Anonymous

Ed Porter always lived his life as such a happy person. He always smiled and always found the good in life. He loved to live and rightfully so considering he lived in a huge house, married a beautiful woman, and had a great son, Emmit, not to mention the fact that he had more money than God! That’s why it came as such a shock to everyone when he killed himself.

The family held the funeral at Peterson’s Funeral Home. Countless people showed up to pay their last respects and offer their deepest sympathies to the family. After the burial Victoria and Emmit, with a few relatives and close friends returned to the Porter’s home for the reading of the will.

“Let’s get down to business,” Ed’s lawyer announced to the mourners who had gathered in the living room. “When Edward came to me to help him write his will, he insisted that I recorded his reading of the will.”

The lawyer placed a DVD into the player and Ed’s image magically appeared on the screen. Ed sat at an old oak desk, dressed in one of his fine Italian suits. To Emmit he looked very professional, very sophisticated, and very young. Emmit had always thought of his father as an old geezer, but now starring at his image, he realized how truly young his father had been.

Suddenly the frozen image on the screen came to life. “I, Edward Porter III, a resident and citizen of,” Ed began, “being of sound mind and body, declare this to be my last will and testament.”

Just then the doorbell rang. Baldrick, the butler ran off to answer the door and soon returned.

“Miss Ashlea Ashford,” he announced in his thick British accent as he stepped aside to allow the new guest to enter.

The attention turned back to the TV screen. “Having said that, we will now move on to the division of the estate,” Ed continued. “To my beautiful wife, Victoria, the woman who bore my child and who has stuck with me through thick and thin, I leave absolutely nothing. Goose Egg! Squat!”

How could this be? Victoria asked herself. How could I be left with nothing? After twenty two years of marriage and not a dime, she felt cheated.

“Why, you may ask. Well I’ll tell you why, because I worked my a** off to provide a good life for you, and how do you repay me? By banging the pool boy, Raul! Instead I leave all of my worldly possessions: my cars, my house, and all of my money, to my mistress, and the love of my life, Ashlea.”

“You hussy!” Victoria roared as she jumped up from her chair and charged towards the girl. Ashlea leapt from her chair and ran for the door.
“Where do you think you’re going Goldilocks?” she shouted as she grabbed a handful of Ashlea’s hair and threw her to the ground. “That’s my money!”


By the next morning, everything had been resolved. Victoria spent the night in jail for assault and battery and Ashlea worked out a deal with Emmit. He could continue living in the house that she now owned as long as he paid rent. That meant he would have to do something he had never done before, get a job.
After a series of disappointing job interviews, Emmit had pretty much given up all hope of ever finding a job. He had no previous job experience and he dropped out of college freshman year, planning to live of his father’s money for the rest of his life.
He sat down on the curb, completely depressed. In the past week he had lost his dad, his house, and his mom ran off to Mexico with her new fiancé, Raul. And now he couldn’t gat a job and was going to get evicted from his own home by his father’s mistress. Could his life suck anymore?
Feeling alone and depressed he began to sing. Singing always made him feel better.


“Urrgg!” Kayla Wolfe screamed as she burst through the back door of the theater. Only four months until opening night and still no luck finding a half decent leading man, she thought.

Suddenly she heard something, someone singing, but not just singing, singing well. She looked around trying to find out where that beautiful sound had come from.

“Excuse me,” she said, tapping Emmit on the shoulder, “was that you singing just now?”

“Yeah,” Emmit answered sullenly. “Sorry to bother you, I’ll shut up.”

“No. No. You weren’t bothering me. Actually I think you can help me,” Kayla said. “Look I’m directing this new Broadway musical and I’m looking for someone to star as the male lead and I think you’d be perfect for it.”

“Let me get this right, you want to give me the leading role in your play?”

“Well you would have to audition first,” Kayla explained. “So will you do it?”

“Sure!” Emmit said.

Kayla led Emmit back into the theater.

“Kayla! Greta news…” a man said as he ran up to them.

“Not now Pete,” Kayla interrupted, “I think I found our leading man!”

“But Kayla…”

“Shh!” Kayla said as she put a finger on Pete’s lips to shut him up.

Emmit stood on the stage and cleared his throat. From somewhere backstage someone played piano. Emmit sang along with the music, the sound of his voice was so beautiful. When he finished everyone in the theater burst into applause.

“Congratulations,” Kayla announced, “You got the part.”

“Well actually Kayla,” Pete said hesitantly, “that’s’ what I wanted to talk to you about. When you left, we gave the role to someone else.”

“What?” Kayla screamed.

After several minutes of arguing Kayla and Pete agreed that the only fair thing to do would be to give the other guy and Emmit would have to settle for understudy, which didn’t bother him at all. For the first time since his father died, he felt his luck was changing, and for good.