Lennie Small's Murder | Teen Ink

Lennie Small's Murder

February 2, 2013
By Abbey SILVER, Grand Rapids, Michigan
Abbey SILVER, Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 articles 0 photos 15 comments

March 25, 2012

Mr. Bob Johnson
Supervisor
Johnson Investigative Services
8818 Calvary Rd.
Chicago, IL 60623

Dear Mr. Johnson:

I am writing to you regarding the murder of Lennie Small, a migrant field worker. He was shot in the back of the head at point blank range; his death was instantaneous. The deceased worked on a ranch in Soledad, CA. His body was found by his traveling fellow, George Milton. At first no one was willing to tell me the entire story from start to finish. The owner of the ranch has a son named Curley, who was thrilled to tell how it occurred. Curley said that Lennie murdered his wife in the barn and then ran to the woods to hide, where George found him first and shot him. When I asked the other workers if this was a true account of the events, they solemnly agreed. When I spoke to George, he explained that he had to get to Lennie before the others; for Lennie didn’t know any better because he was not right in the mind.

The murder of Mr. Curley’s wife was the “lynch pin” that led us to the death of Lennie Small. Lennie Small was a troubled and mentally unstable man. He knew not what he did. From what I have gathered, George Milton was Lennie’s caretaker and his best friend. When George Milton pulled that trigger, he knew that it was for Lennie’s sake. The murder of Lennie Small was an act of mercy. He knew that if Mr. Curley got to Lennie that he would make him suffer; Lennie did not deserve to be punished in that way. He was oblivious of the consequences of his actions. I believe that Mr. Milton should be cleared of all charges. On the other hand, Mr. Curley should be admitted into anger management courses along with a psychiatric evaluation. All migrant workers should be required to take this type of evaluation before being admitted to work.

The workers on the ranch have been through a great ordeal. They will go back to work as usual, slowly getting back into their usual routine. It may take longer for some to grieve, while others will throw themselves right back into the job. I think that this community will eventually move on with their lives. I believe that our work is done here; therefore there is nothing more we can do to assist these people. We must let the aftermath of this situation run its course.

Sincerely,
Law Enforcement Office


The author's comments:
A writing assignment to go with "Of Mice and Men" last year. I was an "investigator" of the murders and gave my opinion to the head detective.