Madelyn | Teen Ink

Madelyn

August 16, 2008
By Anonymous

There he stood with his big angry eyes, muttering something under his breath in a language that I couldn’t understand. I watched him as he paced, running his fingers through his long, untidy black hair. I saw the thin translucent scar just below his left eye, sparkling whenever the moon touched his face just right. He was taller now, and obviously older, if it weren’t for the scar I wouldn’t believe that this dark, angry, man before me was my Jason. The boy that I had grown up with, the best friend that I had lost almost four years ago.

I stood there in shock, wondering if my mind was playing tricks on me. But the throbbing pain in my wrist, and the wind whipping my hair against my face, told me that it was real. Adrenaline was still pumping through my veins from the chase, and there he stood amongst the trees, the one person whose face I couldn’t forget. The face that had haunted me since that cold November night.

I watched as he continued to pace, he was still breathing hard, his breath bursting from his lips like smoke in the cold night air. He seemed to be trying to make a decision. I just stood there in silence, still trying to convince myself that this was real.

That’s when I heard it.

The crashing of their feet on the ground - coming for us. He stopped pacing immediately, and his eyes met mine. I saw a variety of emotions there; fear, anger, indecision.

“J-Jason?” I whispered. I wanted to scream at him, to demand to know where he had been for the past 4 years. But I could hear them coming from behind me, and I stood there, frozen with fear.

“Maddie, I need you to try and trust me,” he said. He took a step forward and took my hand. I thought, at first, that he would lead me away like he had the first time, but when his hand met mine, I felt a faint pinch. There, on my palm, glimmering in the moonlight, was a scar exactly like Jason’s. “Forgive me, Madelyn,” he whispered. And everything went black.

The author's comments:
Just the beginning of a story i started writing.