Please Don't Leave Me Here | Teen Ink

Please Don't Leave Me Here

The car came to a sudden halt. I crouched even farther under the seat until I could barely move. I heard the loud slam of the rusty pickup truck's door and seconds later, the door closest to me squeaked open. Shivers ran down my spine as my master's hands gripped my belly and yanked me out from my hiding place.
"I still don't see what I did wrong. Please, PLEASE don't leave me here!" I pleaded to my master. I was just a small dog with hardly any experience fending for myself.
"I'm sorry," was all that my master said in reply. He placed me a short distance away from the pickup and left me there.
"Please, no, wait!" I cried.
"I can't," Master said. He climbed in the truck and sped off out of the woods, the headlights slowly fading in the misty darkness.
Crouching on the pine needle covered ground, I pondered what I did that day that might of ticcked Master off enough to do this. Well, I woke up, chased the mailman away, checked my email, ate some kibbles, practiced my barking, ate some more, and that was it. A sudden noise startled me out of my thinking and I became on full alert. My ears pricked up for better hearing. Something fell behind me to the ground. I did a quick 180 to see what fell.
"Whew." I sighed. "It was just an apple." I was about to walk off when something about the apple caught my eye. There was a bite taken out of it with little specks of glow-in-the-dark goo around the bite mark.
"Odd," I said, puzzled. I went over to the apple, sniffed it, and looked up to see where it came from. I almost fainted at what I saw and did a double take to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Through the surrounding shadows of the trees appeared a huge, monstrous, mangy looking creature on a thick tree branch only feet above my head. His glowing red saliva dripping off his fangs like a leaky faucet. His yellow beady eyes staring me down in a hungry-like way. What was this thing? The dark shadowed almost all of it's features.
Needless to say, I was scared! I quickly scanned my options. Option A: Run like heck and put as much distance between me and the thing as possible. Option B: Beg to the creature for mercy. Option C: Take it like a man and attack whatever it was. None of the options really appealed to me. As I stood there, frozen in horror, the creature released an ear piercing howl and soon, I was surrounded by tons of them.
Obviously, I was no match for them. And running away at this point would be pointless. Begging for mercy? Yeah, right. I couldn't sink that low. As the things crept closer, I could scarcely start to make out what they looked like. Besides being freaking huge and scary, they seemed to have missing patches of fur and tails that were so long, that they dragged on the ground. I kept staring at them. There eyes, so mesmerizing, making ...me...so...dizzy. My vision started to blur, all four of my knees buckled, causing me to collapse. The creatures were getting closer and closer. And with just a few more seconds to live, I woke up. I looked around. I was in my same bed, in my same room; my master snoring loudly in his bed as he always does. I let out a loud sigh.
"Whew. It was all just a dream."