It Was the Night That Every Eight Grade Student Reveres... | Teen Ink

It Was the Night That Every Eight Grade Student Reveres...

It was the night that every eighth grade student reveres. Matt and Jen were no exception. They had been preparing for this for months. Just as they were about to go on stage Matt pulled out a crumpled white envelope. Jen knew exactly what it was. She was hopping that all her fears were false and that they wouldn’t be able to haunt her anymore. Tears welted in her eyes as her heart tap danced against her ribs.

Jen didn’t want to hear it. She didn’t want it to ruin her night. She ran out of the classroom as if the envelope was a monster. But to her it was a monster. It could destroy Matt and Jens relationship. She ran out of the classroom with Matt at her tails. She ran down the spiral staircase with grace and style even thought she felt as like a giant awkward elephant. Matt wasn’t sure if he should chase her. He tried to but it was as if his feet were cemented to the ground. When he could finally move he sat against the wall and looked his crinkled white envelope.

When she reached the bottom she sat just far enough that if Mat looked down he couldn’t tell if she was there. She was crying. But not just any crying it was the type of crying that could make the most beautiful flower wilt when it was in her sight. Her pretty tan cheeks were a rosy red color and her mascara was running from her tears. Jen heard foot steps. It was Matt walking down the stairs as if he had the weight of the world on his shoulders. He sat next to Jen. “Did you know when you cry your eyes turn in to the most beautiful things I’ve seen in my life. They put the stars to shame.” He said staring in to her Brown eyes. Jen smiled so big that she was sure her heart was smiling too.

They sat together at the bottom of the spiral staircase. Both shaking slightly and holding the other ones hand . With his free hand he reached in to his suit pocket and pulled the envelope out. “I didn’t look at it yet. I had to wait for you. No matter what the results are I’ll love you.” He said giving her a kiss on the cheek. She couldn’t speak she just nodded to acknowledge she understood and agreed. They let go of each other and with both hands Matt tore open the crumpled white envelope. Matt had been possibly diagnosed with brain cancer about a few weeks before exams. The doctors wouldn’t know for sure if it was true until they got the test results back. Matt read the test results and began to cry . He looked at Jen. Trying to lighten the mood Jen turned to Matt and said “ When you cry your eyes turn into beautiful blue pools. They put the beaches in the commercials to shame.” Matt tried to laugh but all he could do was force a smile.

That night life changed for everyone on the graduation stage. Matt had to make a speech because he was valedictorian and class president. Toward the end he told everyone the tragic news. People reacted in dismay. No one thought things like that could happen to a guy like Matt. As graduation ended Matt and Jen skipped the after party and went to the park. They sat at the hill where they first met two years ago, where they had their first kiss together, and where they had made wishes on stars and stared into each others eyes for hours on end. “Your going to make it Matt. Your not going to leave me.” Jen said in a whisper. “Your right I’m not going anywhere.” Matt said putting his arm around her as she put her head on his shoulder.