In The Eyes of a Tantrum Child | Teen Ink

In The Eyes of a Tantrum Child

December 20, 2012
By kitten489 BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
kitten489 BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
Never start frowning because you never know who's falling in love with your smile.


In my many trips to the grocery store in pursue of various fruits and snacks I crave, because no one wants to forget to eat their daily fruit snacks, I always come across the same situation every time. These trips are accompanied by my entire family, a pack of siblings hyped up to have the opportunity to get out of the house, with two tired parents following close behind. My goal is to get in, get my food, and get out, the quicker the better. To go unnoticed would be a glory, since everyone else in the store just wants to mind their business as well. But unfortunately, I am not graced with this gift of invisibility as the rest are, just because of one brilliant person who ruins it all.
Remember the mob of siblings? One incredibly, adorable little 6-year-old stands out from all the rest. By stand out I mean everyone in the store will know about her by the end of the shopping trip. From the moment she enters, the screams erupt. “MOMMY I WANT THIS, I WANT THAT! OF COURSE I NEED IT….I NEED IT I NEED IT I WANT IT!!!!”….she’s so cute with the angry tears streaming down her face and all the blood rushing to her face from screaming. All throughout our little expedition to the grocery store, her grubby little fingers hook onto junk food after junk food after junk food. My long ago defeated parents agree with all the things that enter the cart, just because it’s easier than going against our delightful gift from below. In her moments of possession in public like this, it’s easy to criticize my sister as a spoiled little brat who over exaggerates on what she needs. But do we all have the right to judge her so rightly? Have we all been through what she has, been in her shoes, seen through her eyes?
Well I’ll tell you, since you all don’t have the power to read minds unfortunately. As I have experienced the rages she has first hand, I can see the benefits that come from my charming little sister in her tantrums. All the sugar packed delicacies that she grabs is actually good for her health. With all of this in her system, her senses will be heightened tenfold, to super human status. All the kids should follow the example my sister sets, obviously. The tears she sheds increase her eyesight outstandingly, as if she’s washing her eyes with purified salt water every time. Not to mention all the attention she draws towards everyone in the entire store, literally lying on the floor yelling and screaming. Everyone always says to stand out right? She certainly leaves a great impression on the newlyweds thinking on whether or not to have kids that just walked by. Who wouldn’t want such a delightful kid like her? I know I’m glad I do, and so does everyone else who doesn’t have her in their life. Boy are they missing out on our daily adventures in public places.


The author's comments:
This piece is a satire I wrote about my sister. I love her with all my heart but sometimes she can be a handful...