Never | Teen Ink

Never

August 9, 2008
By Anonymous

"Listen, who do you think you are?"
Her voice was low and quiet, the way it always got when she was pissed off. "You act like nothing's important except for you!" Seeing that I wasn't paying attention, she very rudely snapped her fingers in front of my face. "See, this is what I'm talking about-"
I sighed. This was the same old ancient debate. "Having fun giving me a lecture?" I asked boredly, my eyebrows raised. I wasn't expecting what happened next- Her hand met my face in a sharp slap, the skin feeling raw as I felt my head droop to one side, as if it were about to roll off. I stared at her, my mouth open. Sarah had never slapped me. Ever.
"Six months of this." She said, her voice relatively calm, her chest rising and falling rapidly in her anger. "Six months, Angel!" Her voice had the edge of finality in it, the tone someone uses when they've finally had enough. Memories came back to me, swirling and spinning: Nights of drunken laughter, ending in fights, Sarah's angry crying in the middle of the night.
Sarah frowned at me. "I'm done, Angel. I can't do it. I can't. This has gone on for too long already." She whispered. Gently, she stroked my cheek with her knuckles, her eyes deep and endless. I didn't want to let her go.
"Goodbye, Angel." When she walked out the door of my apartment, I figured it'd be the last time. But as I would soon find out, I'd see her again. Just not where I expected.