Life Underfoot | Teen Ink

Life Underfoot

By Jennifer Tidwell BRONZE, Grove, Oklahoma
Jennifer Tidwell BRONZE, Grove, Oklahoma

I’m really beginning to get tired of this. At first it sounded exciting, getting to see all these people and animals and cars, and anytime anything happens, I am always there. But now it’s just getting old! People keep walking all over me! I think it’s about time for some respect around here. I mean yesterday some kid spit his gum out right on my face! This is not the first time. A few weeks ago a dog decided to relieve itself on me and the owner didn’t do anything! I may only be a sidewalk, but I have feelings too! I want to be able to breathe in the winter without having two feet of snow or leaves blocking my nasal passages. It seems like everybody keeps forgetting about me. After all that hard work was put into mixing my concrete, pouring it, and then making it nice and smooth, it just seems wrong for me to be treated like this. How do you think that nice young man who spent all that time and effort to make me feels right now? I know I’m tired of it. Gum in my face, leaves in my nose, snow all over me, I am tired of this! It’s time for a change. I’ve tried to tell you before but you can’t hear me when your feet are on my mouth. Now maybe you’ll learn; maybe you’ll see. I have feelings too, and now it’s time for a little respect around here.