Perfect | Teen Ink

Perfect

August 6, 2008
By Anonymous

He was standing an inch away from me. I could feel his warm breath on my lips. Oh how I wanted those lips. Finally he went in for the kiss. And when our lips met I swear it was a dream. I mean how could anyone ever kiss as good as Mike McCafferty.

Beep! Beep! My alarm clock woke me. I think that has to be the best dream I've ever had. Anyways Mike McCafferty is the type of guy that doesn't talk to girls like me. He's got blond hair that stretches down just below his eyebrows and bright green eyes that can pierce through any girls heart, God he's amazing. Me? I'm the average 5 foot 7 inch girl with brown hair that nobody notices. I'm kind of into the mysterious type, the kind that can read right past you. My love life isn't so great either. Technically I haven't even kissed a boy. Unless you count that time in 6th grade when Tommy Harris tonged me under an oak tree, and the time that Greg Yan kissed me in a game of truth or dare. But other than that my four years of high school haven't been that exciting.

“Fanta!” my mother yells at me from outside my door.

“Whaaat!” I yell back.

“Are you almost ready to go to school, because I have to be at work in 20 minutes!”
I slip into jeans and pull on a tee shirt. When it was time for my parents to name me, my mom was still in her 80's mode. That's why my name is Fanta. Some retro soda brand. She was still a little loopy from the morphine.

As I crawl into the car my mother is there ready to step on the gas. Right when I position myself into the seat, she steps on the gas.

“Jeeze! Why do you seem so paranoid?” I asked her.

“It's your father, he got fired.”

“What! Dad got fired?”

“Isn't that what I just said?” she shot back.
My dad was always the money provider in the house. My mom is a secretary at some clothing company. But my dad is the manager of Wal-Mart. Our house isn't that great, but it's sure not a shack. My mom steps on the break.

“We're here, get out.” she told me

“God,okay okay. Where are you going to pick me up?” before I could finish she was gone. I guess dad was still a big deal in her life. My parents divorced when I was about seven. The weird thing is they still live in the same house. I remember when I was little they used to fight over who was going to get me a glass of water. Right when I was about to think about another great moment in my life someone bumped into me.

“Hey, watch it” he rudely said to me.

“Excuse me?” I shot back, “You bumped into me.”

“I wouldn't have bumped into you if you weren't standing there like a dead rock.” and he was gone. That guy better watch himself. I continue my way up the North Water High School steps and see a penny on heads. From what I've heard it is good luck to find one of those. I pick it up and wish that my love life would be better, because it's not going to well.

The whole science class I dozed off and dreamed about Mike McCafferty and how he wishes he could be with me.

“Fanta wake up!” someone shouted. I looked up but it was still blurry from my sleepy seeds.
When I could finally see I saw a very hot Mike McCafferty staring back at me.

“Woah why are you talking to me?” I asked him, “No one talks to me.”

“Ha ha, are you serious?” he asked

“Yeah, why?” I responded. I was hoping he would say, 'because Fanta I've always loved you!'

“I don't know you just seem more talkative than you really are I guess.” Well it wasn't a passion for love but at least he was talking to me, right? I guess that penny trick worked.

When the bell rung my amazing conversation with Mike had to end. Unfortunately my next class was algebra and his was culinary. I guess I would just daydream about him during algebra.













Chapter 2

On the way home from school my mom seemed to be in a better mood than when she dropped off before school. I just can't believe Mike talked to me! Maybe my dream would come true, Mike kissing me under the stars and whispering in my ear how much he loves me, then he would take me to back to his place and we would spend the night together. But who am I kidding? He'll never date someone like me.

“Honey are you okay?” my mother said.

“Why are you suddenly in a better mood?” I responded

“Look, I realized after I dropped you off I might have been a little to hard on you.”

“A little? Seriously mom I didn't do anything and you were taking dads issues out on me.” I was not going to let her off the hook. I stormed out of the car door and walked the rest of the way home. When I walked into my house by mom was making dinner. I just walked right by her without saying a word. I was so tired from today all I wanted to do was go to sleep. The only problem was that it was three 'o clock in the afternoon, and I still had to work tonight.

I work at this diner called Sam's. The foods good but the service isn't. All night I've been waiting for a customer to actually come eat here. When I hear the bell on the front door ring I see the first and probably last customer walk in.

“Hi, I'm Fanta can I help you?” I politely say.

“Uhhh yeah, I'll have a pepperoni pizza.” He said.

“For here or to go”

“Here” he responded.
When I go behind the counter I realize that guy was the one that bumped into me this morning. Oh this guy is so going to have spit all over his pizza. When his pizza is ready I deliver it without spit. I decide to confront him and see what his problem is.

“Um excuse me but I think you were the one that bumped into be this morning.” I said .

“I thought that was you.” He said giving me a little smirk. What is this guys problem I thought to myself. Is he going to even say sorry?

“Sit.” He said to me. Knowing myself I gave in and sat down. He told me that he was having a bad day and was sorry. His name is Kyle Crayton. He wasn't all that bad looking either. Kyle was muscular and pale white, had the prettiest blue eyes you could ever imagine, and his hair was black and fell right over his eyebrows.

“So yeah I'm sorry about today, but maybe we could hang out sometime?” He asked.

“Oh yeah,definitely” I replied with a smile. Right when I was about to ask him something he was gone. Well that was weird, he just like disappeared. I was so excited and wondered when I would see him again. Would I see him in school? He was just so mysterious. I went to bed that night hoping I would dream about Kyle.











Chapter 3


“Fanta! You have a phone call! From a boy!” my mother yells from the first floor. I wasn't mad at her anymore, I didn't feel like getting into a fight with my own mother.

“Who is it?” I said. I mean I never get phone calls let alone from guys. I picked up the phone and heard a rustling in the back round.

“Hello?” I said.

“Oh hey, Fanta right?” I heard a voice say.

“Yes,and this might be?” I wondered.

“Oh right, it's Kyle” he said. Kyle! It was Kyle! I couldn't believe this! I tried to sound casual and not like I'm bouncing off the walls.

“Oh, hey Kyle, what's up?” was that casual?

“Nothing, I was just wondering if you wanted to come to my house for dinner.” he said. Oh my God. Was this truly happening to me? God I think I'm going to pass out.

“Yes! I mean yeah, sounds good.”

“Great, pick you up at seven?” he said. Before I could answer I heard the dial tone. He didn't know where my house was though. Wait how did he know my phone number? I never gave it to him. Mmm he was mysterious!

I could not wait for our date! Literally. All day I sat and stared at my closet wondering what to wear. I finally put together the perfect outfit. Ripped jeans, and a KISS tee-shirt.

When Kyle arrived my heart almost skipped a beat. How could I be feeling this way about him when I've only known him for 24 hours? His car was black, just like his hair.

“So what are we eating?” I hesitantly asked.

“You'll see” he answered. That was the end of that conversation.

When I saw where he lived I was in shock. This has got to be the biggest house I've ever seen. It was a huge white mansion that looked like it had been around for centuries, I liked it.

“Wow, nice house.” was all that came out of my mouth.

“Yeah we inherited it from my grandparents after they died.” he said

“Oh sorry” I said feeling stupid. He didn't say anything. He stopped the car and got out to open my door. He grabbed my hand and led me into his huge house. He stopped at what looked to be a dining room.

“Sit my lady” he joked as he pulled out my chair.

“Why thank you sir” I joked back. I sat down and he disappeared into what looked like a kitchen. Before I could miss him, he came out with a silver tray with a chrome dome covering our meal.

“Are you going to tell me what we are eating now?” I asked hesitantly.

“Why yes, yes I am.” he answered. He opened the silver platter to expose the tastiest looking food I have ever seen. There was steak, mashed potatoes, corn, and a salad. Wow.

“Do you like it?” he asked as I scarfed down my plate. “I made it myself.”

“You made this?” I sounded surprised.

“Yeah, I love to cook for my dates.” he said with a warm smile. So this was a date. Hallelujah! I ignored his answer and came up with another question.

“Where are your parents,” I asked, curious “I haven't seen them all night.” He seemed hesitant at that question. Crap. Did his parents die or something?

“They both work late nights.” he told me. He grabbed my plate and took it to the kitchen. I guess I hadn't realized I was done eating. He came back with a wide smile stretched across his face.

“Would you like to watch a movie, or do you want me to drive you home?” he asked in a deep voice.

“No! I mean, yes I would like to stay and watch a movie. And no, I would not like to go home.”

“Good, because I wasn't planning on driving you home just yet, follow me.” he said wryly with a smirk.

He brought me to an open room with a long sofa resting against the north wall. Across from that was a huge flat screen TV. I swear this house could be the white house.

“Romeo and Juliet or Dracula?” he asked me, pulling out the movies.

“I see your old fashioned.” I said as a joke. I don't think he took it as a joke though because he has this sad look in his eyes.

“Sorry. Would you like me to drive to the movie store and get another one?” he asked seriously. The movie store was more than an hour away. As much as hated the movie choices, I'd picked Romeo and Juliet.

We sat next to each other and he put his arm around me halfway through the movie. I guess the movie wasn't so bad. Man was his house Freezing! I guess Kyle sensed that I was cold so he got up immediately and gave me a blanket. He cuddled close to me and I was suddenly warm. So far the night was perfect, until the movie screen suddenly went black and the credits started playing.

“It's over?” I asked sadly.

“Yes. I'm going to drive you home now.” he said.

His black car was warm and toasty when we got into it. Kyle put the car in drive and sped down the highway to my house. In about five minutes we were there.

“I had a good time tonight. Maybe we can do it again?” I asked hopefully. All he did was stare straight out the windshield. He slowly turned to reveal a warm smile that lit up his perfect blue eyes that reflected nicely off his pale skin.

“I was wondering,” he said as if he knew what I was going to say after he asked it, “would you like me to kiss you?” My head went hot. What do I say? I know what I want, I told myself.

“Yes, you may”. I said. And I closed my eyes waiting for his lips to touch mine. He pressed his lips to mine and I almost melted. His lips were warm and soft, very comforting. He pulled back with a smile across his face.

“See you at school” he said. And then I got out and waved to him as he drove away. The date was perfect.