I Have A Dream | Teen Ink

I Have A Dream

August 4, 2008
By Anonymous

I have a dream that one day poverty and hunger will no longer subsist on our Earth and that peace will rise from the dark depths of war. Poverty and hunger are like diseases that our Earth has become deeply infected by but we have not yet found the correct medicine to heal them with. Many efforts are being put forth to cure these horrible diseases but nothing has completely aided poverty and hunger. In the twenty-first century 2.8 billion people live on less than $2 a day, that is equal to one half of the world’s population. On the average, 25,000 people die every day of hunger or hunger-related causes, according to the United Nations. This is one person every three and a half seconds; unfortunately it is children who die most often. I find this inexcusable and unacceptable because in certain areas in the world we have surpluses of food. The problem though is not that we do not have enough food it is that the people suffering from hunger are ensnared in rigorous poverty. They can not afford to pay for enough food to completely nourish them. The people suffering from hunger and poverty become so malnourished that they can no longer function on a daily basis. This means that they are not able to hold a job; consequently they become more inferior in every aspect of their life. Therefore these people can no longer provide for themselves, so our world needs to join together to help find a “cure for our Earth’s diseases.”
For each one-hundred dollars earned in the United States only seventeen cents is donated to aid, this is one of the lowest donations. Whereas, in countries such as: Sweden and Norway an average of ninety-six cents is donated. Why is it that one of the wealthiest countries in the world donates so little to aid hunger and poverty.
About 2.2 billion children live on Earth today; roughly half of these children are in poverty. Out of the one billion children living in poverty about six-hundred-forty million live without ample shelter, and four-hundred-million have no access to drinkable water. In addition, out of those one billion children two-hundred-seventy-million do not have access to health services. My dream is that one day the diseases of hunger and poverty will be cured by the medicine of the people. We can all make a difference by donating money and services. My dream is that half the children in the world will no longer be in poverty and they will all have access to a healthy lifestyle.

Another one of my dreams is that peace will prevail. I want peace not war. There are more than thirty wars occurring in the world, today: right now. We are taught that violence is not the way to solve problems, then why are so many wars happening in the world today. World peace may seem unreachable, but we have to take one step at a time. If the goal of peace can be attained in small communities across the nation, then maybe one day our country will rise up and be looked upon as a role model of peace. I know that world peace is not in the near future but it is realistic to me. I have a dream that one day all violence and wars will come to an end and although not everyone will agree with each other, violence will not be used to solve the differences. I have a dream that one day hunger and poverty will no longer exist in our society. I have a dream that world peace will ring out across the world, and that we can all live in harmony. These dreams may not come true tomorrow but change can and will happen.


The author's comments:
In my eighth grade English class we were given an interesting assignment. We had to write our own personal, "I Have A Dream Speech." I thouroughly enjoyed this assignment because I am very proactive. I believe that peace should prevail and that poverty can be halted. I hope that this article gets readers to think about what they wish for the future and that they will begin to take a part in their community.