Thousands of Days | Teen Ink

Thousands of Days

December 17, 2012
By abigailanna SILVER, Pipersville, Pennsylvania
abigailanna SILVER, Pipersville, Pennsylvania
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." -Eleanor Roosevelt


Having only one day to live really puts things into perspective, you know.

Not like I only have one day left. I have thousands. I still have my whole life ahead, high school and college and a career, then retirement, grand kids, all of it mapped out with arrows and labels and a compass to help. Perfectly designed to make sure The Life of Me has no bumps in the road, no road construction or complications.

But sometime you still have to wonder, if it all ended tomorrow, what would happen?

We run the same routine every day, of every week, of every month, of every year. I wake up to an alarm beeping near my arm, climb out of bed, turn it off. Swear that one of these days, I'm gonna smash that thing.

Get dressed and put on makeup, brush my hair so I'll look good for the guys, like any of them would ever ask me out. Go downstairs, pack my bag, eat a bowl of cereal, because if I don't eat until lunch, my stomach will be so loud that the whole school will hear.

Get on the bus, put in my earphones, and blast the music so loud that I can't think about the math class I'll have to go to soon. Forget the world for ten minutes or so, then get off and walk in. Throw on a smile and flip my hair, chat with friends and laugh. Go to class, almost fall asleep, go to the rest of my classes, almost fall asleep some more. Get home, do homework like a good little girl.

Watch some TV, practice basketball if I have it that night, eat dinner and talk about my day, because I should. Go upstairs, take a shower, come back down, read a little, go to bed and wish that you didn't have to get up again.

And it goes on like this, repeated, day after day, not caring what goes on around me.

The world is spinning and people are dying and being born and things are happening, but it doesn't affect me. I will still get up at 6:02 and still fall asleep, exhausted, at 9:30

Things don't change much, but I wish they would.

If I only had one more day to live, I have to wonder if I would go crazy and do everything, or do my normal routine one more time so I will remember it forever, how things used to be.


The author's comments:
Just some thoughts of mine on life in general.