To Make a Long Story Short | Teen Ink

To Make a Long Story Short

December 17, 2012
By matteden22 SILVER, Woodland Park, Colorado
matteden22 SILVER, Woodland Park, Colorado
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

To Make a Long Story Short

It’s no simple task to cook up a good story. That is why I might entertain you with the idea that the story about to be told is not entirely a story. You just can’t make this stuff up! It all started on a warm summer’s eve…..

Sally was a good student at the top of her class. Johnny was a rough boy with a soft side. The two met one day after school, and it was love at first sight. Though they might tell you different, they know deep down that it was better to love and lost than never be loved at all.

The first date was to a classic horror movie in a drive-in theatre. Sally was scared to death watching the movie, and as she quivered into his arms, you could tell he had love in his eyes, but he had lust in his heart. They both had good intentions, but after all, love is blind. They took a little romp in the hay, and he took her back home. As fate would have it, her father was waiting on the porch. Little Sally was forced to never see Johnny again. Johnny was determined to never let love die, so the next night, he threw some rocks at her window.

Sally met Johnny at the balcony with a defensive stance. “Why are you here?! My dad told you to stay away!”

“But I love you sweet Sally!” replied Johnny. “Even though we have only been on one date, I feel like I have known you my whole life!”

“What are you saying?” asked Sally.

“Will you marry me?” asked Johnny.

“Of course I will!” affirmed Sally.

It seems obvious that the world would never have chosen this couple to be together, but it seemed settled. Johnny and Sally were wed despite her father’s objections. Just a short nine months after the wedding night, came little Suzie. The couple had everything going right to say the least. Johnny had found a good job in town, and Sally was a wonderful mother and housewife, that made the best sandwiches in the whole neighborhood.

As luck would have it, Johnny was laid-off just the day after finding out his second born was eight months away. After two weeks of applying to every job in the entire town, Johnny had to make a decision. Johnny went down to the local Army base, and enlisted into the United States Army. Just a month later was boot camp, and Korea only a month after that.

When the going got tough, fate had its victory. Johnny was laid to death with a child he had never met, and a wife that never said goodbye.
It seems like only yesterday that those two star-crossed lovers were crazy for each other, and now there seems to be no hope. But I heard that she met a new man. His name is Bobby.