Just a friend | Teen Ink

Just a friend

August 1, 2008
By Anonymous

"I love you." she looks at his with eyes filled with love. I flinch, I'm sitting next to them on the couch watching old movies. He’s my best friend, and I’m in love with him and I have been for almost two years. "I love you too." He reply‘s. His words ripped into my heart, and it feels like someone just kicked me in the stomach. "I have to get some air." and with that I half run out of the room. I know why he loves her, I mean who wouldn't she looks like a model. But she can't talked to him as easily as I can, she couldn't possibly laugh as hard as we do when we’re together. So why can't he see how perfect we would be together? Why can’t he tell me that he loves me more then a friend? Because he doesn’t, and I have to get over him. I sit on the porch tears blur my eyes, and he walks outside and sits next to me. He turns and looks at me, and I shift away from his stare so I can wipe the tears out of my eyes. “I’m sorry I’m hurting you, but I can’t help the way I feel about her.” My heart crumbles to the ground at his words. “I know you do, its fine.” But I know I don’t fool him, I might have if my words hadn’t come out in a sob. He pulls me into a hug and I’m not strong enough to resist, emotional or physically. Then the door opens again and this time I don’t feel the butterflies in my stomach, instead anger and envy consumes me. “Maybe we should go Shane.” He looks at her and then me. “just leave.” I hiss, he looks at me with a hurt expression. Good, I think feel pain, hurt like I do. Even though I think that, I know that I’m lying all I want is for him to be happy, and if it means with her then I guess I have to live with that. “I’ll see you later, ok?” he says when he stands up and she walks over to him and wraps her arms around his waist. I just nod. Then she goes to kiss him but he pushes her away. “Not now ok, later.” She turns to glare at me. “Why? All she is, is a friend and that’s all she’ll ever be.” He looks at me and says, “She the best friend that I could ever have and I love her.”