Flower | Teen Ink

Flower

I wake up. I’m lying on my back and I can’t move. The ceiling is white, like a marshmallow. I can sort of see the wall in front of me. It is also white. On it are a couple posters. One of dolphins in the ocean, and one with a series of letters getting smaller until they reach the bottom where you can hardly see them. The place seems familiar. Then I drift off.

I wake up. I’m lying on my back and I can’t move. I can hear people talking, but I can’t see them. Then three people step into my vision. One of a man I don’t recognize in a long white robe. The other two I recognize. One a middle aged woman, the other a pretty girl in her late teens. Both appear to have been crying. The doctor points at me, and they look. The middle-aged woman breaks down and puts her face in her hands. The girl just looks at me in what seems to be a state of shock. It’s then that I recognize them. It’s my mother, and little sister Heather. Where is my father? The girl, Heather walks up to me and looks straight down into my face. She puts her hand against my face. I can’t feel it. Then I drift off.

I wake up. I’m lying on my back and I can’t move. My mother and sister are sitting next to me. Now there is a man with them, my father. My sister is reading a book, Pride and Prejudice, her favorite. She seems to hardly be paying attention. My parents are just sitting looking at me. I try to talk to them, but can’t. My voice is dead. I can hear light music playing in the background. It’s The Beatles, my favorite band. I let myself listen to the music. If I Fell is playing. I run the lyrics through my head. If I fall in love with you, will you promise to be true, cause I’ve been in love before, and I know that love is more then just holding hands. Then I drift off.

I wake up. I’m lying on my back and I can’t move. My sister is still sitting beside me. She is almost done with her book now. I can hear voices from my left side. I can’t understand them. They sound like mumbling, like a movie on fast forward. People step into my vision. It is my parents. With them are my grandparents, my aunt and cousins. They are also crying, except my grandfather. He is staring resolutely at me. My mother comes up and places her hand on my head. She talks to them for a while, and then they leave. She kisses me on the forehead and her and my father leave. Heather stays. Then I drift off.

I wake up. I’m lying on my back and I can’t move. My sister is still sitting in the chair next to me. The room is dark. I can hear her silently crying. She is drinking a coke in large gulps. Then I drift off.

I wake up. I’m lying on my back and I can’t move. Heather is sleeping in the chair next to me. The room is fully lit, and the man in the white robe is standing over against the wall and is doing something with his hands. He walks over to me and sticks a large needle into my arm. I can’t feel it, but the look of it is nauseating. Then he leaves. The ceiling is white, like a blank piece of paper. I watch it. It almost seems to be reflecting the light. I think I can see myself in it. I lie on the table, naked, and bleeding from the eyes, and the nose. I am choking on my blood, and soon can’t breathe at all. I suffocate slowly. Then I drift off

I wake up. I’m lying on my back and I can’t move. I hear a movement. Heather is sitting back up. She looks almost refreshed, and her hair is a mess. She smiles at the sight of the light, but then she looks at me and her smile drops. Tears begin dripping down her face. She stands and leans over me to stroke my face. She leans down and lies beside me wrapping her arms around me. She slips out of my sight as she burrows against me. She begins to cry audibly. Then I drift off.

I wake up. I’m lying on my back and I can’t move. There are four people standing in front of me. There is Heather looking disheveled and sleepy, a guy about my age, and two girls. The guy has a cast on his right arm and a large bruise on the right side of his face. They are staring down at me silently. I don’t recognize any of them, except in an odd way. Like someone you met once, or saw a photo of. The two girls walk up and hug me in turns, attempting to hide their tears from Heather. They leave together. The man walks forward and kisses me on the lips. Large tears fall onto my face. I remember a car; him reading a road map. He smiles grimly and pulls a small black box from his pocket. He sets it on the counter beside me and leaves. Heather walks over to me and picks up the box. Inside is a small glistening ring. She smiles when she looks at it. She looks at me for a moment and then leans over by my side and slips it onto my finger. Then I drift off.

I wake up. I’m lying on my back and I can’t move. The room is empty. I stare up at the ceiling. It is white, like a flower. Then I see something, a shadow. A fish swims across the white ceiling, waiving its tail rhythmically. Then I drift off.

I wake up. I’m lying on my back and I can’t move. Heather and my parents are back. My parents are talking to the man in the white robe. Heather is pacing back and forth along the left side of my bed. Then I drift off.

I wake up. I’m lying on my back and I can’t move. Heather is sleeping in the chair again. My vision starts to blur. I can hear Heather breathing softly. The monitor next to my bed beeps, the speed escalating. I think I can hear some music playing from the other room. Then I drift off.