Finally Home | Teen Ink

Finally Home

February 21, 2008
By Anonymous

Bryan is a very smart and well put together 14 year-old boy. His father is a very muscular solider in the U.S Navy. His mother is a very active stay at home house wife. Bryan and his family have lived in a small town in Wisconsin for nearly a year. His father just recently got informed that he is going to be stationed on the island of Guam. Bryan and his mother are angry that they are moving so soon again, but also very excited that they are going to be living on a paradise. Bryan and his family prepare for a long 24 hour flight.

After an exhausting flight, Bryan and his family finally see their new home. It is big and beautiful. Before they can even get settled in Bryan’s father is off to the naval base.

After only a couple hours Bryan gets bored. “Mom, can I go outside and try to meet some friends?” Bryan asked.

“I’d rather you not, but I guess so,” his mother answered.

“Awesome. Bye mom, I’ll be back in a little bit.

Bryan walked outside and immediately saw a boy about his age across the street playing basketball. Bryan walked over to him.

“Can I help you?” The boy asked.

“Yeah, I’m new here, and I was wondering if you wanted to hang out or something.”

“Yeah, sure. What’s your name?”

“I’m Bryan. What about you?”

“I’m Myron. I lived in beautiful Guam all of my life!”

Bryan and Myron seemed to have a lot in common. Both of their fathers are in the Navy, and they both love the outdoors.

“How about the jungles. Are they any fun?” Bryan asked Myron.

“Yeah, their awesome. Do you want to go explore them?”

“Oh sure, let’s go.”

“I’m warning you now. Their pretty harsh.”

“What ever. I can handle it. Lets go.”

Since Myron is more experienced with the jungles he gives Bryan a really big and sharp military knife.

Bryan and Myron walk right into the jungle.

“Wow, it’s beautiful!” Bryan exclaimed.

“Yup, I know. Follow me.”

“Are you sure you know where you’re going?”

“I’m positive. I’ve been exploring these jungles for years.

Bryan and Myron continue their journey through the jungle. Myron is teaching Bryan everything he knows about survival. He is showing Bryan how to start fires, make bows and arrows, and even showing him which wild fruit is good to eat.

Myron is surprised. Bryan is a natural at surviving in the wild.







Part Two



“Hey Myron,” Bryan said. “It’s getting late. It’s almost five o’ clock. I told my mom I’d be home in a few hours. It’s been almost four.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah I Know where I am.” Myron said in an unsure voice.

Bryan knew right away that Myron was scared.

“Myron be honest with me… Are we lost?”

“No, no. Not at all!”

“DON’T LIE TO ME MYRON.” Bryan said in a panic

“Ok, ok. Were lost.”

At this point Bryan was really freaked out. But life must go on.

“Bryan listen to me,” Myron said. “We have to keep walking, and find our way out of here. No one will ever find us if we just stand here. The jungle is way too big!”

Bryan and Myron turned around and back tracked. But nothing looked familiar. Not even to Myron.

“Myron, none of this looks familiar to me.”

“Me neither.”

“I’m scared!” Bryan said in a panic.

“Listen to me,” said Myron. “The best thing we can do is set up a quick camp, and sleep through the night.”

Bryan and Myron set up a quick camp. It had a “lean to” shelter big enough for the both of them with bed made out of leaves from a nearby tree. The most important thing the camp had was a fire. The fir could keep them warm and ward off any predators.

“Bryan are you hungry?” Myron asked.

“Yes, very.”

“Ok, I see a Papaya tree over there.”

Myron went to pick Papaya. As he was walking over there Bryan was listening very carefully. Bryan heard a sudden squeal followed by a tremendous scream. Bryan jolted up, grabbed his army knife, and ran toward the sound.

Bryan was dumbfounded by the sight he saw. It was Myron laying on the cold wet ground surrounded by dark red blood. In the distance Bryan saw a big fat figure running away. He knew what it was right away.

A pig. A WILD pig.

It took a while for what just happened to register into Bryans head. Now he was really scared. Bryan knew he would have to move on and leave Myron at hi final resting place.

Bryans mind was so blank, he just kept running until dawn. When the sun cam up Bryan was very hungry. He was frantically searching for a tree that looked like the Papaya tree Myron was walking to. He had no luck doing so.

Bryan kept walking. He cam upon a familiar figure. He immediately knew it was the pig. Bryan was going to run away at first, but then he remembered what the pig had done to Myron/

Bryan grabbed the army knife out of his pocket and lunged forward at the pig. The pig had no chance. Bryan let out all of his anger, and kept slashing and stabbing the pig. Bryan knew it was dead, but he wasn’t going to let it off the hook that easy. He ate it. He made a quick fir and cooked the pig. It tasted just like bacon.

Now that Bryan had a full stomach he had enough energy to get out of the jungle. He only walked about a mile until he got out. He was extremely surprised to see that he was in his backyard.


“Are you ok honey?” Bryans mother asked.

“What, where are we?”

“Were at home. You must have had a bad dream!”