A Heavenly Stroll | Teen Ink

A Heavenly Stroll

By MoonWolf BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska
MoonWolf BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska

The dew was still fresh on the crisp morning grass, and the sun was still tucked away. Stress had taken over my once simple life and now I barely had time to breathe in this world, a world that I had once held so many joys and simple pleasures. I was drowning in worldly problems. I wanted, needed to escape all of this.

When I awoke I had found that I had beaten the sun, and no matter how much I tried I could not lay back down. I was restless so I began to pace around my small square of a bedroom. Why is it when we live in this giant sphere, Earth, that we confine ourselves to diminutive boxes that we call our homes? Why do we imprison ourselves in cages?

I look out my window pane, and far below I see I am not the only one who is awake. My horse, Sunday, is also slowly pacing around her corral. Her dark brown mane and tail, the color of chocolate, float in the morning breeze and her light brown coat reflects what little light the stars have provided. She tilts her face upwards and as our eyes meet, I get the most brilliant idea.

I pull my hair back and braid it loosely and gaze into the mirror. My nightgown once belonged to my mother, and although it is too large for me I believe it is lovely. It gives my body a more adult look, and its lengthy sleek material plunges past my knees. With exposed feet I began my journey down to the shed where I seize Sunday’s blanket and bit.

I approach the horse enclosure, unlatch the rusted chains and allow them to fall to the ground. I throw open the large gate and wait for Sunday to come to me. I slip the bit into her mouth, throw the blanket onto the lofty back of the beast, and with great effort scramble onto her.

A light nudge of my heels and we are on our way. I close my eyes and run my fingers though Sunday’s coarse mane. I let her be my guide, I trust her with my whole life. She and I are one being. Each beat of her heart pulses through my core.

I eventually open my eyes and I find we are in a great oasis. A heavenly sanctuary. The stars that were once so far off in the sky, now sit in the bloom of flowering lilies. So stunning and luminous these flowers were. I reach down and take hold of one only for it to become a animated little humming bird and buzz away. Where was I?

Suddenly before me, I see a man dressed in all white, he himself glowing much like the lilies. I was compelled to crawl off my horse and bow before this man, but before I was on my knees for long he lifted me up and held me in his tender arms. I had met this man before, not just anywhere; I had met him in my heart.

He took my hand and we walk in this wonderland. I share with him all of my stress and I feel a heavy weight being lifted off of my shoulders. I knew that this man was God, but he was different than I expected. He was much like I, a humble human being, nothing like the church had painted in my mind. He is not a big guy in the clouds; his arms are not too big to hold me.

He finally told me that I needed to go back home, and that I needed to tell others of where to find him. He kissed my forehead and told me he loved me. My tears began to fall because I didn’t want to leave his side, but I had no choice. I would be seeing him soon enough and now was not my time to spend eternity with my Lord.

Who am I that my lord, God would hold me, listen to me, and love me?

I awake in my bed; in my hand I hold a brightly beaded rosary. I never had seen this rosary in my life before, but I am not about to question the mysterious ways of God. Now when I am in dire need of the Great Divinity, I hold the beads to my chest and remember a time when the Lord and I took a walk in paradise.