One Day Left | Teen Ink

One Day Left

November 30, 2012
By watermelonGwen BRONZE, Farmington, Minnesota
watermelonGwen BRONZE, Farmington, Minnesota
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Only one day is not nearly enough time to spend with someone you love. I knew that as soon as They told me. I don’t know where They came from, except that They made it very clear. Nothing can stop the process. They said, “Savor it for as long as you can.” I could just keep to myself, but I can’t wait any longer. I’ve already used maybe four hours. He must know how I feel before I’m gone.

I open my eyes and stand up from a crouched position. The dark alley around me is still the same as it was when They were here. No cars drive by as I step onto the cobblestone street ahead of me. I start to walk toward the nearest pay phone, the only sound being that of my steps. I’m almost there when I realize that I don’t know his number. I’ll have to run home to get the school phonebook. I had always thought about calling him, but I never thought it would be like this.

I enter my house with no sound at all, not wanting to wake anyone. It would be too long and painful to try and explain it to more than one person. I tiptoe and grab the phonebook from the drawer in the kitchen desk. I also grab my cellphone, which I‘m surprised was not with me before. I am in and out of the small house in less than two minutes. I lock the door behind me, and then think otherwise. I go back inside to write a note to my family. Then I’m out again.

As I walk away from my house someone grabs me from behind. My mouth and eyes are held shut, though I can hear heavy breathing.

“Don’t move,” says an deep voice. I try to break free, but I can’t move. “Look, I’m just lettin’ you know, since it looks like ya don’t have a watch on, that you only have 20 minutes left. Sorry, time change. We decided that we gave you too much time. You--“ I break free of his grasp and look around. He’s gone. 20 minutes?!
I find an empty street corner and dial James’s number. The phone rings and rings. Just when I’m about to end the call, it picks up.
“Um, hello?” asks a tired voice.
“Hey James, it’s Amber,” I say.
“Amber? What is it?” He sounds worried.
“It’s just that, um… could you meet me by the docks?”
“Right now?”
“Yeah, it’s extremely important.”
“Uh yeah sure. Anything for you. I’ll be there in a minute. Bye.” He hangs up the phone. Anything for me? This will be hard. I tuck my cellphone into the pocket of my parka and run for the docks.
The docks line most of the coast, but there is also a grass field that juts off straight to the ocean. I stand three feet from the cliff, overlooking the water. The pale blues, greys, and whites swirl together to make the ocean and sky a beautiful piece of artwork. The once tall grass around me had been trodden on so many times that it is now a dark green mat. I think back to when I first met Them.
It was a bright, sunny day. There was a slight breeze that cooled my cheeks from the hot sun. I had just finished school and was walking home, thinking about homecoming that was just around the corner. Green trees surrounded me and birds were singing. It was quite a beautiful day. It was so peaceful and tranquil… it was almost too quiet. Then everything went black.
I awoke in a cold metal room. I was strapped to a chair, sitting in the middle of the room. A tall figure entered the room from the door in the corner. As I looked up to get a better view, my straight brown hair fell over my face and I reached to tuck it away. I felt a large bump on my forehead. The figure was entirely covered in black, not even his face showing. That confused me.
“You have been chosen,” said the figure in a monotone voice. “Out of all the choices, we have decided that you will be the one. You will have one day only. It will all be over in 24 hours. Decide what’s most important for you to do. Savor it for as long as you can.” My world went black again.
Back in the present I notice James walking toward me. He has on dark jeans and a sweatshirt with the hood up. His light hair is swept across his forehead. Piercing green eyes stare at me as he speaks:
“Hey- whoa, what happened to your forehead? Are you ok? Do you need help?” There’s concern in his voice.
“I’m ok, it’s a long story. Actually, it’s a really long story. I just brought you here to tell you something.” My gaze drifts to the ocean.
“Ok, tell me anything you want.” He smiles at me, and it makes my heart lurch.
“Well, here’s the deal: this might sound really crazy, but I only have 20 minutes to live, then I’m gone. I just found this out today and right now I only have about two minutes left. I needed to tell someone this before I go.” I pause to see if he thinks I’m crazy yet.
“Go on,” he says. I look surprised. “I know you well enough to know you aren’t lying,” he explains.
“Well, They have cursed me with this. I don’t know who They are, but they must be stopped. I also don’t know how they did this to me, but someone must find out. My life is dwindling.” It takes him a second to soak it all in.
“Is that all?” His voice cracks.
“No, there is one more thing; I love you.”
I said it. He knows. And now I’m gone.


The author's comments:
This piece won the Dakota County Library Teen Writing Contest. It had to be a maximum of 1000 words and based on a picture of the Library's choosing.