Justice? I think not. | Teen Ink

Justice? I think not.

By 122494 BRONZE, Woodland Park, Colorado
122494 BRONZE, Woodland Park, Colorado

Any time a person reads a book before seeing the movie their heart drops. What if the movie producer left out something important? What if every word of the 300 page novel they read is not represented how it appeared in their mind? Then they carry on to see the movie; knowing the end result. Disappointment. Later, they talk to friends about how, “I thought he was going to have blond hair” or, “she was not nearly as beautiful as the BOOK described”. This does not only occur with novels however. When Brain Hegeland tried to recreate Chaucer’s “The Knight’s Tale” in his film A Knight’s Tale he did not do the story justice. If I were to give his production a grade, I would give it a ‘C’.

In the story “The Knight’s Tale” by Chaucer, there are three main characters, Emily, Arcita, and Palamon. Although there are many more characters in the film, you can still derive the main characters of Chaucer’s Tale. This is one of the contributing factors why his flim deserves a ‘C’. Hegeland’s first character, William Thatcher (Heath Ledgure), can represent Palamon. Adhemar (Rufus Sewell) can represent Arcita. And Jocelyn (Shannyn Sossamon) can represent Emily. Secondly, I gave Hegeland a ‘C’ because of his lack of detail to the plot line. In Chaucer’s tale, the two men meet in a jail, and this is where they discover their love for Emily. In the movie however, they meet at a jousting meet. Also, in the story, the men stop fighting whereas in the movie they do not stop. Lastly, the turnout of events are correct in the movie. In the end the better of the two men gets the girl. In the film William gets Jocelyn, in the tale Palamon gets Emily.

All in all, the reproduction of Chaucer’s Tale, “The Knight’s Tale”, by Hegeland is not completely bad. The movie does have certain portions that do not follow the story by any extent of the imagination. However, there are many parts where he is accurate. Since the movie is not an extremely accurate representation of the tale, it cannot receive an ‘A’. The movie has many plot line differences than the story therefore it cannot receive a ‘B’ either. But, since the movie is not completely false to the story, a ‘C’ is what it deserves.