The Dream | Teen Ink

The Dream

October 24, 2012
By Ashley Porter BRONZE, Yelm, Washington
Ashley Porter BRONZE, Yelm, Washington
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It was a crisp cold morning, I felt as if the world stood still. I could not put my emotions into words, I died a little inside. Four men inside black suits with white gloves on carried the casket. My eyes quickly closed tight and I started to hum over the guy at the podium. Humming over the loud cries and the guy at the podium was getting more and more difficult. The noise progressed, it felt as if I could not escape this all started to feel more real. How could all of these people act like they know him? They are all telling stories and crying, but I am the only one who has the right to cry. He is my dad! I know him better than anyone. This all feels like a dream. It was just yesterday morning we were at the kitchen table and he was reading the paper like he does every day. He picked up his cold glass of orange juice, and then he set the glass down as it clanked on the table. My dad looked at me and asked if I needed a ride to school before I could even answer he insisted. My eyes loosened up, I could not take it anymore. I ran and ran far until I couldn't run further. I felt the sand in between my toes suddenly I realized this is where me and my dad used to come and spend time together. I layed on the beach and just thought about everything all of our memories, Holidays, and Birthdays. It hurt so bad to know that they were going to end there.I felt hot and I could not breather, I passed out. When I woke up I was in my bed. I could smell the wood stove and moms cooking , I crept down the stairs quietly and confused. When I got to the bottom of the stairs I was hesitant to look around the corner, I saw my dad !! In disbelief I ran up to him and hugged him and didn't let go. I told him how much I loved him over and over again. This must have been a dream or something. I looked at my dad and told him "I will never take you for granted".