Nate and Estella This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Nate was to be married.

She was a blandly pretty girl of 24 named Joan. She had darting brown eyes and short black hair, with a face so mild that it withered from memory after a good night’s sleep. Her voice was prickly and clipped. She never spoke more than she needed to, and having a conversation with her was about as productive as trying to spark a fire in the middle of a snowstorm using two splinters of plastic.

His parents were ecstatic. She was studying to be an anesthesiologist at a prestigious college in the West, and her parents were famous musicians. As far as Nate’s parents were concerned, she held the highest pedigree, especially ­considering Nate was “Mediocre with a capital M.”

Nate wasn’t exactly sure what had driven him to propose. In fact, he didn’t remember much about their relationship, which was odd, for they had been together for two years. They had gone to dinners and plays and the occasional movie, but Nate found the memories decidedly fuzzy, as if someone had swept across the drying ink with a steady hand. Perhaps it was because she was so quiet, so expressionless. She didn’t project the profound, delicate silence that suggested great depth; rather, hers was a dreary ­quiet that one would expect from a contemplative sloth digesting a bulky meal.

He supposed he had proposed because he knew that he had netted a rather formidable catch. Nate wasn’t exactly handsome, nor was he especially intelligent. He was a “straddler” – clever enough to be dissatisfied but not talented enough to jump the fence – while Joan had made it in one clean leap.

Estella was a horse of a different color: an exceedingly independent girl with a fiery temper and a personality so vivid that the best word to describe her would be uncontainable. She had literally crashed into his life; her bicycle had landed Nate in the hospital for a week. She visited him every day, and he was ­utterly fascinated by her fearlessness: she walked with such command, and spoke with such unabashed gusto.

He was also struck by the prominence of her features. She was not a typically pretty girl: her hair was rambunctiously curly, her skin peppered with rusty freckles, and she was in a perpetual slouch. Yet there was something magnetic about that jutting jaw and those questioning dark eyes, something that suggested that within the modest frame existed a great, flaming entity awaiting release. They had remained close during high school, and their friendship grew when they landed at the same college.

It was on a cold February morning, a week before Nate’s wedding, when he and Estella met for their customary picnic in Bannister Woods.

“Take a walk with me.”

“It’s all of two degrees, Stella.”

“You have your coat.”

“It’s a pullover, and a rather measly one at that.”

“Take mine.”

“Absolutely not!”

“If you don’t, I’m just leaving it here.”

“You’re such a bother.”

“And you’re such a little girl. Here, we’ll share it.”

Nate flinched as she entwined her arms around his waist; such a sudden, ­intimate gesture. The two were always playful, but it was a platonic, comfortable sort of warmth. He hadn’t ever had the nerve to go further, but if there was one thing Estella Golightly had in abundance, it was nerve. As such, she would often ignite those tantalizing little sparks and Nate would be completely frazzled, as if a blind mechanic had just re-assembled his innards. He found it even stranger that she seemed oblivious to what she was doing. It was impossible to believe that she didn’t realize that he felt on the verge of liquefaction.

The forest was perfectly silent. The trees were stripped bare, and the ground was covered in a layer of pale white.

“You’d like her,” he said. The words darted out of his mouth like fish in a pond. He could picture her eyebrow rising in mild amusement.

“I suppose. You never say much about her.”

The snowflakes ghosted overhead like wisps of smoke.

“You can come to the wedding?”

“Of course,” she replied in a hollow voice. She sounded terribly bored, and tugged at a stray strand of hair with unusual force. Nate felt a strange sensation like a rash creeping up his ankles. He opened his mouth, when he felt Estella shudder and gasp.

“Look!” She pointed to a small, quivering creature under a maple tree. She threw off the coat in one motion and scooped up the little ball with shaking hands. It was a cardinal. Something had sliced its underside, and its delicate wings were twisted. Its plumage was no longer a bright scarlet like its contemporaries but a deep maroon, making it ­resemble a pulsing internal organ.

It gave a final shudder before falling limp, and the difference was extraordinary. It was so utterly unalive, a crumpled ball of nothingness, and Nate was stunned at how the bird seemed to have become smaller, as the space around it seemed to shrink. Its eyes, drops of perfect black, were dull and listless. Nate was reminded of his TV set, a cheap little thing he had found in the parking lot, and how the crackling image would swirl into the center of the screen when he turned it off. It seemed impossible that this thing, this cold imitation, had once been part of the world, with its bustling people and noisy machines.

Estella sighed. She took off her hat, ­revealing tightly coiled brown hair. With impossible delicacy, she wrapped the animal in it and placed the bundle in a knothole.

They continued to walk. The air was colder and as sharp as a whetted knitting needle but an element of clarity accompanied the frost. Perhaps it was the change of scenery: the fact that the lights of the city and the honking of cars had faded into a hazy echo, coupled with the growing denseness of the trees and the narrowing path. The snow continued to fall lazily. The flakes were as delicate as powdered sugar and white to the point of transparency.

“What a glorious place. It’s strange, ­isn’t it? The idea of something so … so transcendent existing in an infested city, I mean. I doubt you could ever find anything half as beautiful anywhere in the world.”

Nate opened his mouth. He was hoping to say something profound that would sum up the wistful elegance of the forest in one sweeping statement; indeed, the words were simmering in his throat, waiting to be freed. Yet they were hopelessly tangled, woefully unpolished. The usual frustration spread through his limbs. The chances of him achieving anything close to his desired response were negligible, so he settled for a nod.

“When I die, I want to be buried right there, next to that maple. I’d melt away into the soil and always be a part of this hidden sanctuary, away from all that noisy nonsense. And the trees would grow so large and dense that even those filthy whirring saws would be unable to penetrate their bark, and it’ll remain just as it is, even when the rest of the world falls to shambles.”

Nate nodded. They were by the lake now, a sheet of frosty glass.

“She’s a nice, smart girl,” said Nate. He regretted this the moment he heard himself speak. The words sounded clumsy, almost apologetic.

“I’d think so. She couldn’t have gotten into such a great university by sitting on her derrière and eating cheese puffs.”

“She’s also got several noteworthy qualities: she’s honest, always asks what I would prefer and … she’s very nice,” he said.

“Right.”

They had passed the lake now. Somewhere far away they heard bells ringing.

“There it is!” Estella said, pointing a fuzzy finger toward the east. “The witch’s cottage!”

Nate smiled, and gave Estella a little knock on the head. “You’re so full of it.”

“No, really.” She grabbed Nate’s arm and pulled him toward the dilapidated hut. There was a bronze plaque on the door, but the words were impossible to read. The harsh wind had ground the letters down into indecipherable stubs. ­Estella frowned. “Ah, well, you’ll have to take my word for it.”

Nate laughed.

“Why’d you bring me here?” he asked.

Estella nodded toward what looked like an oddly shaped boulder. Upon closer examination, however, Nate saw it was a well. Like the plaque, it had been sanded down. Yet there was something imposing about the heap of stone and mortar. It exuded self-satisfaction: it had weathered the storm and achieved a degree of petulant majesty.

Nate gave Estella a withering look. “Breathtaking. Now can we go?”

“Ho, ho. I suppose I can’t tell you the secret now.”

“Secret?”

“I’m not sure if it’s interesting enough to receive the attention of the fabulous Nate Vaughan.”

“I give you my sincere apologies, madam. Now, what about that secret?”

“Well, I’ve read that whispering into a witch’s well is supposed to grant you a wish.”

Nate snorted.

“Fine. You stay here.” She ran to the well and placed her hands firmly on the stone before tilting her head down. Nate was reminded of an ostrich. A minute later, she popped back up.

“Done. Come on, Nate. We’ll probably never have a chance to do this again.”

Nate was struck by an unexpected pang of sadness. He felt numb, and his vision turned cloudy for a flickering moment. While he could move his limbs with ease, there was something oddly disconnected about them, something foreign, as if he were being controlled by a joystick.

“Come on!” Her voice sounded strangely distant.

Nate staggered toward the well, and Estella gave him a light pat on the back before walking toward the cottage.

He clasped the edge of the well, closed his eyes, and whispered.

rayj095 said...
May 14, 2010 at 5:31 pm:
It was alright. But where is the story? The characters are cute, and its very descriptive maybe too descriptive, but there isn't any events that lead to a good conclusion. You did a great job on describing the setting and characters, now make a good story out of it.  :)

GatoPoeta replied...
Jun. 5, 2010 at 8:02 pm :
haha i competely agree with u. as i was reading it i couldn't help but feel something was wrong, and u just said it lol :)

HoplessRomantic said...
May 14, 2010 at 9:55 am:
I loooooove it lol awesoome

Thallenya said...
May 14, 2010 at 8:41 am:
I absolutely love the way you developed Nate's character. I love how he keeps referring back to Joan during random places; it's almost as if he's trying to convince himself. I adore this entirely! I almost wish it wouldn't have ended where it did, but the ending leaves room for suspence and speculation. =)

MaeFlower said...
This is wonderful!  I espeically love the way you keep their characters consistent throughout the whole story:)  It's a Amazing!

lilydarling said...

Are there really no criticisms yet? I mean, it was good, especially for a teenager, but it definitely has room for improvement. Parts of the dialogue feel forced, mainly because the author uses too many complex/over-descriptive words. The prose also has a few issues as well: for example, the use of "contemporaries" when discussing the cardinal and the "joystick" metaphor near the end are both awkward in my opinion. Also, the author uses language and metaphors/similes that seem to overexaggera... (more »)

Jane_P This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 5, 2010 at 8:21 pm :
I have to agree with you. It seemed a little off.

Yvaine_96This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 22, 2010 at 7:34 am:

really really cant wait to read more......................:) :) :)

>3 it!!

M.E.L.Bee said...
Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:32 am:

Loved how clearly i could visualize it!!! You have amazing talent with imagery, and your characters were awesome, so unique and individual! 

two thumbs up!

toflyaway said...
Mar. 31, 2010 at 8:16 pm:

Amazing!! Your writting is so intriguing, From the very first sentence I was glued to my computer screen :)

And like all the others, I want to know what he wishes for too :)

MoonlightMadam This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 31, 2010 at 7:48 pm:

I loved this! It was very good. It was mysterious, yet clear all at the same time. You can almost sense the longing Nate has for Estella, but yet it's not all out there, and that's a good technique.

I think that Estella brought him there so he could make a wish that he could have Estella, and not Joan. I think she knows something...Am I right??

Lol anyways, again I can just keep on pointing out the things I love about this story. The metaphors and similies are amazing, my Englis... (more »)

spontaneous09 said...
Mar. 31, 2010 at 6:53 pm:
I love the imagery. You write just like the authors who have already been published.

Lonleydandy said...
Mar. 31, 2010 at 6:52 pm:
I absolutely love the entire thing. It was breathtakingly amazing and there isn't one bad thing I can say about it. I so wish you would post more work!!!! I LOVE it..keep writing :]

ChangedForever said...
Mar. 31, 2010 at 4:45 pm:
nice...from the first line is was clear that you have a really distinctive style of writing. great story, keep it up!

writergirl13 said...
Mar. 31, 2010 at 4:15 pm:
wow! i love your similies and metaphors! now i want to know what happens next!!!!!!!!!

xAllegria said...
Mar. 31, 2010 at 3:22 am:
Oh, wow... this is one of the first peices I read on Teen Ink. I got such a nice surprise when I saw it on the homepage again =) Good job, once more!

allaboutyou said...
Mar. 9, 2010 at 1:17 pm:
Love this!

goddess_of_the_moon_123 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 15, 2010 at 3:43 pm:
This is great--- it made me smile :) I love how you ended it right there and left it up to us to finish the story; that takes guts! Please, PLEASE keep writing. You have a gift!
PS I would really appreciate it if you could take a look at some of my stuff!

Bambi3226 said...
Feb. 15, 2010 at 3:07 pm:
I really liked it, but seriously, what happens??????? It's gonna bug me for like, ever...

LostAngel said...
Feb. 15, 2010 at 2:55 pm:
is this all there is!?! come on... I NEED AN ENDING! what did he wish for! I need to know!!!! lovely writting

Kate15 said...
Feb. 15, 2010 at 12:45 pm:
this was one of the first articles i'd ever read on this site. After a while i kept looking for it and couldn't find it until today. I really liked it, especially the ending. You're a very good writer.