The Ribbon | Teen Ink

The Ribbon

Lynn walked into the party, not knowing what to expect. She only knew one thing; John would be there. Lynn stepped of to the side for a makeup check. After reapplying her lip gloss, she fixed her dark hair so the bright red ribbon was clearly visible. Lynn wanted answers, and she was sure John had them.
On the other side of the room, John was hanging out with his fellow football players. John looked up from the conversation to be enchanted by a girl he couldn’t recall seeing ever before. The petite girl was wondering through out his house with a scowl on her face. Something about her seemed slightly familiar, but John was sure they had never met.
John made his way through the crowd and approached her. “Hey,” he said.
Lynn turned around, surprised that her prey had come to her. “Hi,” she quickly smiled.
“You’re at my party, but I have no clue who you are.”
“Are you sure?” Lynn asked in her sweetest voice.
“I never forget a pretty face,” John bragged overconfidently.
“What about ribbons?” she pushed her hair behind her ear.
“What?” John thought he misheard the mysterious girl.
“Do you ever forget a pretty ribbon?”
John went white. The ribbon in the girl’s hair was the one he gave to his girlfriend the night she went missing.
“Where is she?” Lynn demanded, “What did you do to Shannon!” The police had given up on her sister’s case. Lynn felt she was Shannon’s only hope. She never liked John and thought he had something to do with her sister’s disappearance, or at least knew more then he had let on. “What do you know?”
John dashed out of the house. As he ran, Lynn noticed he dropped something. She picked it up, but immediately regretted it. It was a picture of Shannon’s corpse.