The Truth of The Mistake | Teen Ink

The Truth of The Mistake

July 11, 2008
By Anonymous

It started with a phone call.

"Are you busy?" He said.

"Yep." I said

"Really?"

"I have a twenty page essay."

"Well, maybe I can come over and help."

"No, I'm good."

"Tasha, I'm coming over."

I didn't really want to see Joe. Not after what I had heard. But, I regrettably said he could.

An hour later, my doorbell rang. I opened it and there was Joe, with a bouquet of roses. I looked to the roses. He looked at me with a nervous look. I rolled my eyes, and walked into my house.

"I'll put them in water when you leave, just put them on the table by my couch." Joe let out an aggravated sigh. He thought I would give in, but I wouldn't. He hurt me. Badly. Joe followed after me, and grabbed me from behind.

"Joe, stop." I pushed him off.

"C'mon Tash, can't you get over it?" I could have been completely honest. I could have threw the roses in his face. All I said was,

"I have an essay to finish, it's due tomorrow, and I'm about to fail History. I really have to get back to it." I turned to go up to my room, but Joe grabbed my arm. He leaned into kiss me but I turned my head. I sat on my couch, and put my hands on my head.

"Baby." He said as he sat down next to me. That's it. That word, he called me baby. After how I've been treating him, after what he did to me, he's still calling me baby!? That was it. The final straw.

"BABY!? BABY!? ARE YOU SERIOUS!?"

"Tash, I don't know what else to do!"

"You didn't even apologize, all you did was bring roses, which after a year I thought you'd realize I hate. And you try to kiss me, and hold me, like nothing is wrong!"

"I'm sorry Tasha! I'm SORRY." Tears streamed down my face.

"Sorry isn't good enough!"

"Then what is?" I almost opened my mouth to speak, but I couldn't. I almost felt bad. Nothing would ever be good enough. Not again. I sighed and managed to let out,

"Nothing." He looked disappointed. As if he thought he could have done something to fix it.

"So are we over?" A tear fell down his cheek.

"Yeah." I sobbed. He turned to walk out the door. "Wait, I just wanna know why you had to kiss Taylor at her party."

He turned around, full on bawling. He managed to tell me though.

"I fell in love with you Tasha, and I was scared. I never felt that way for anyone before. So I kissed Taylor just to make sure what I was feeling was real. It was. It was the realest thing I ever felt." He walked out of my house. I collapsed on my couch, sobbing.