Awaiting the Future | Teen Ink

Awaiting the Future

By Lydia Beyer BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Lydia Beyer BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Awaiting the Future

As I walked along I could feel the warm summer sun on my bare skin. The only sound was the soft rustling of the grass beneath my feet and the crash of waves in the distance. I laid down in the swaying grass and felt the cool breeze on my cheek. A small ant crawled up my arm, and I watched as he made his way down to the tip of my finger and I set him on a leaf. I closed my eyes and focused on the moment, trying to take in every last bit of it. I knew I would want this moment back and I tried hard to remember every detail. After a little while I picked myself up and made my way to the docks. As I got closer I could hear sea captains and workers on the loading docks shouting over the waves. I sat on an empty barrel and strained my eyes to see any approaching ships in the distance. I knew I would recognize his figure on the deck the moment the ship emerged from the vast sea.

I felt my short, newly bobbed hair whip across my face and I struggled to spot an approaching ship. There he was on the front deck of the massive boat. As it approached I could make out his waving hand, and I waved back. Then I closed my eyes, blocking out the hustle and bustle around me. I had no idea what the future would bring, but I promised myself I would find the courage to take it head on. I thought back to the moment of calmness and peace I had in the meadow only hours ago. The moment I had tried so hard to remember had become cloudy. I took a deep breath and opened my eyes. His ship had docked and the sight made my heart soar. I saw the warm smile on his face. I thought I detected a nervous glint in his usually confident eyes. But then it was gone as quickly as it had come. I desperately grasped for that peaceful moment in the meadow, but it had slipped through my fingers and was now gone, leaving me with nowhere to avert my gaze, nowhere to escape to. A broad smile suddenly sprung onto my face, and excitement crept into my body. I broke into a run, the wind stinging my eyes. I realized then that I didn’t need to relive that moment as an escape, but that I needed to tuck it away as a special memory and turn to face the future.

I hope others would look at change and the unknown future with an open heart and mind.

karensy1 said...
well written and lovely story

iloveyouihateyou GOLD, Lowell, Indiana

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.

really beautiful!