If I Were an Animal | Teen Ink

If I Were an Animal

By Lin5dsy GOLD, Carthage, Maine
Lin5dsy GOLD, Carthage, Maine

"You can turn off the sun but I'm still going to shine."

If I were to be an animal, I would be a painted turtle. The thing about a painted turtle is that it looks like a regular turtle, but when you truly look at it, there’s much more to it that makes it different than any other turtle. That’s how I feel compared to the rest of the world. I know I am different and it may not seem like that, but it’s just hidden. Turn a painted turtle over onto it’s stomach and you’ll be surprised at the different shades of oranges you see. The only difference between me and a painted turtle is that you can truly see the difference on the outside of the turtle, but for me you have to look within. I care about things much more than other people do. I am passionate. Yes, a lot of people care and are passionate, but I know it’s not the way I am. I just want to be heard, I want to make a difference in the world. I want to be the best that I can possibly be. That’s just what I want to do, what I need to do. I need to stand out from everyone else, march to my own beat, just like a painted turtle does. But the thing is, no one knows. No one knows that a painted turtle is beautiful underneath until someone really looks. No one knows how different I am until they really look. But has anyone looked? Clearly someone has looked at the underneath of a painted turtle, but has anyone looked at me and thought about why I am here? I am here to care and be passionate. I am here to be different. I am here to stand out. I am here to be the painted turtle in the world. ?

If you were an animal, what would you be and why?