Give Your Heart A Break | Teen Ink

Give Your Heart A Break

September 30, 2012
By eddiegodina BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
eddiegodina BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Writing is a struggle against silence." - Carlos Fuentes


Give your heart a break
The word love is on everyone’s mind. We tend to ask ourselves questions about love all the time, like: How do you know when you’re in love? What is the meaning of love? (You know, besides the occasional meaning the Webster Dictionary gives). The dictionary meaning of the word love is an intense feeling of deep affection. Love is a feeling of a deep romantic or sexual attachment to someone. So, basically, the word love is a strong word which can mean a lot to one person.
Many people believe in love, especially high school kids. Most high school people believe that being in love happens when you’re with someone for a long time- four months- when really it could be infatuation. You’re with someone for so long, you’re in love and nothing can go wrong, right? Well what if four months is too long for the significant other and they break it off? Are you still in love with this person? No, of course you’re not! You want them to hurt! You want them to cry! To feel the pain that you feel! Am I right or am I right?
But other high school kids believe that being in love is something you have to work towards. For example, Ale, a senior in high school, has been with his significant other for about three years. He believes that love can never be diminished. That love is a special bond between two people and that this special bond can never be broken. He believes that without love there wouldn’t be anything to live for. Love is nothing unless taken by action.
Brittany, another senior, believes that love does exist and even though she has never been in love, she does believe that love is something that must be worked towards. She believes that love is when two people are not necessarily perfect for each other but that they complement each other. That love is not easy to find in someone because there might be some things you might not like about this other person, but that in order for you to love them you have to look past all that and realize the person they are on the inside.
Even though these particular people believe in love they don’t believe in love at first sight. Love at first sight is more of like a Romeo and Juliet type of situation. You know, boy loves girl, girl loves boy, they die, cry, cry, cry, the end. Well, not necessarily like that but the fact that they both fell in love once they laid eyes on each other is what these people don’t believe in. And people like this don’t believe that love is something worked towards. They believe that love is something that is automatically sparked once eyes are looking deep into each other’s souls.
Elizabeth believes this so-called love at first sight. Her view is that when she met her significant other she didn’t automatically fall in love but that when she looked at the overall person her significant other was as a human being, she fell in love. Elizabeth believes in love at first sight but she also takes a stronghold on that love is when you can look at someone you really care about, and even on their worst days can still light up your world.
Another example of someone who believes in love at first sight is Noah. Noah believed in love at first sight when he saw it with his own eyes. And even though he has fallen in love before he added that when you fall it is hard to get back up if you fell in a deep enough hole. Love at first sight, to him, is a hard thing to explain. He believes that love at first sight is when you look at someone for the first and it is just the two of you. All you see is the other person and no one else. It is like time froze and nothing else in the world matters except that one person.
Love has many different views for different people. But one thing that I realize is that everyone wants it, needs it, or feels it. People cannot live without love, no matter how much they may try to. You see love everywhere. You see it in movies, marriage, friendships, and most importantly, in family. If people only thought of love as just a word that they can say whenever, then there would not be any meaning in the word love.
Everyone wants to look for love but you can’t look for love. Love is not a mission. Love is a gift that is meant to be shared. Even though I’ve never been in love, I do believe that there is a reason why everyone wants it so bad; it’s the closest thing we have to magic. To knowing what our happily ever after feels like.


The author's comments:
I've always wondered what brought people to the word 'love'. What made it so important and why was it used so much in movies, books, friendships, and relationships. I know I didn't capture the entire meaning of the word 'love' but I'd like to believe I got the just of it.