Demented | Teen Ink

Demented

By katherine salcido SILVER, Lewisville, Texas
katherine salcido SILVER, Lewisville, Texas

Demented
Chapter two
I woke up to the sound of beeping. I kept my eyes closed; frightened of what I will see when I open them, but realizing that it was my alarm clock, I reached my arm over and hit the snooze button. I slowly open my eyes and see a yellow-white haze peeping through my window, illuminating the room with heavenly colors.
The bright green numbers tell me its 7:00 p.m. Oh yeah, the first day of school. I get up wincing in pain from my arms. So the nightmare really did happen. I forgot how waking up early for school felt like. But I guess that’s one of summer’s favorite games, apart from also forgetting everything you needed to learn from school. I get out of bed skip the shower, no point of re-bandaging my arms again. I get dressed, try to do something with my hair but decided to put a brush through it, and head for the kitchen. I heat up some coffee and prepare a delicious blueberry bagel with strawberry cream cheese. I see a note attached to the fridge, it says;
Sorry Hun, change of plans. I won’t see you until the evening.
I’ll bring Chinese. Have a nice day of school!
See you at dinner- Mom
Of course, change of plans. I guess the doctors are going to need more of her. Do they make all the nurses stay after their shifts? I shake my head as I look around my ever day house; furniture, a loveseat couch since it was on sale, a TV and photos of me and mom. Dad left a few years ago, he was no longer aloud to step foot in this house. I shivered from the memories, know was not the time to bring them back.
I look down at my black watch to see that it is 7:55. I grab my hot coffee, snatched my car keys and drove down to Lewisville High. I chugged my coffee and tried to look for a parking space. There’s one between a silver Honda and a beat up black SUV. An orange car is ahead of me and I know the driver sees the parking space too. I knew the driver wanted a challenge so I pressed on the gas pedal. We were heading head-to-head and before we could crash, I slammed on the brakes, almost hitting the steering wheel. The Camaro slid in the space and parked. The bumper sticker read, “Eat my gas.” Audriana steps out of the driver seat along with her 3 sidekicks, Malorie, heather, and Diana. Audriana looks at me and scoffs, then her and her crew saunter up the steps.
You could have taken her out, angel.
I whip my head, shaking out the voices when a car beeps at me. Finally I find a parking space with no other car ahead of me and parked. I step out, slam the door and meet up to see Jessica. She wraps her arms around me and says, “Angie, I am so happy to see you! That trip to Colorado made me miss you so much. What- oh my gosh Angie! What happened to you?” she grabs at my arms.
“Oowww!” I screeched in pain. I guess my long sleeve was a misfire. “I, uh, I had a bad dream last night.” Sounding completely stupid.
“A bad dream? What in the blue moon is a dream going to do to you?” she peers at me with her blue eyes.
More than you think, I thought to myself.
“So you thought of cutting yourself?” Yelling loud enough for everyone to hear.
“Be quiet! People are looking. No I did not think of cutting myself. Listen it’s hard to explain, okay. I’ll tell you what happened later, I promise.”I say to her as we head for the front doors.
“There better be a good reason. I don’t want you to turn Emo on me.” She tells me seriously.
Neither do I.
“Now class, today we are going to go over the syllabus of what I am expecting from you,” M.s Colon explains. I look around to see math posters attached to the walls, and Algebra books along the shelves.
Nothing seems to interest you poor Angel.
“Stop calling me that,” I say aloud.
“Is there something that you would like to say Miss Angela?” she says, putting me on blast.
“Uh, no.” My face goes pink and I feel the heat on my cheeks.
“Well as I was saying-“
I ignore her as I think of the rest of my class period. I have this class, Spanish, P.E, and physics. Jessica has English, health, P.E and physics, so I only get to see her at lunch, third and fourth period. I’m interrupted by the bell and head for the next class. The rest of the day passes with a blur, and I stash all the heavy text books in my locker. Suddenly my eyes are covered by hands.
“I know it’s you jess.” The hands are then drawled back and I see a guy in front of me. “Oh hi Damien,” Stifling a smile.
“Hey Angela, how’s it going? He smiles.
“Oh you know the usual.”
Then he laughs like it’s the funniest thing he heard.
“Hey listen, I know it’s the first day of school and all, but I was hoping maybe you would like to-“
“Angie! There you are. Sorry I took so long. Mrs. Hymn can be such a – Oh hey Damien. What brings you here?” she notices him.
He flushed a dark pink, and then turned to leave.
“What was that all about?” she asked me, but I just shrugged my shoulders.
Everyone knows Damien has a crush on me. He’s been trying to ask me out but never had the guts to do it, which is sad because I don’t see him that way. We are better has friends.
Seems like no one is good enough for sweet little Angel.
“Did you hear that?” I ask Jess as I whip my head.
“Hear what?” she looks at me skeptically.
“You didn’t hear anything?” I ask her again because I don’t want to sound crazy.
“You’re freaking me out, Angela.” She steps away from me.
“Never mind, I guess I’m just hearing things.” I run my fingers through my hair.
“What you need is more sleep.” She says as she turns to leave, wanting me to follow.
No, just what I need, less sleep.