Roaring Silence | Teen Ink

Roaring Silence

August 5, 2012
By freakblood GOLD, Indianapolis, Indiana
freakblood GOLD, Indianapolis, Indiana
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I'm hunger. I'm thirst. Where I bite, I hold till I die, and even after death they must cut out my mouthful from my enemy's body and bury it with me. I can fast a hundred years and not die. I can lie a hundred nights on the ice and not freeze. I can drink a river of blood and not burst. Show me your enemies.” - C.S Lewis in Prince Caspian


“We should just go talk to him.” A group of high school students were sitting at a table eating lunch. Their focus was, as usual, fixed on the boy across the room. They noticed that he always wore a black hoodie and put his earphones in during the free period. Strangely enough none of them had ever seen him take his earphones out. They also noticed that none of them had ever seen his face.

“He’s just a kid like us, we should go talk to him.” A girl at the table spoke.

“No way man, count me out. He’s creepy. There is no way that you are getting me to go over there.” A boy across the table raised his raspy voice.

“Well why not?” the girl inquired.

“I hear the dude’s got some seriously messed up home situation. His parents are like… freaks. He’s a freak” another boy spoke up.

“You don’t know anything about this boy!” she motioned her arms frantically. “Those things that you heard are called rumors and they are usually not true!”

“Yeah, usually…” one of the boys across the table said.

“Well I’m going to talk to him.” She snorted as she put her hands on the table to get up.

“Good luck…” The boy’s voice dragged off as she moved towards the other table.

“Wait!” a squeaky voice followed her “You can’t go over there, it’s social suicide!” a girl from another table ran up to her.

“What are you talking about?” she asked as the other girl approached.

“I hear he’s a Satanist.”

“What?! You can’t be serious.”

“People say he’s got squirrel heads in his backyard.” The girl stopped and took a breath.

“How do people know if everybody’s too scared to go near his house?!” she asked exasperated. “Honestly sometimes people just need to keep their mouths shut. Sometimes silence can speak more than words.” She muttered as she brushed past the other girl in pursuit of the table across the room.

As she walked closer to him, the boy’s music seemed to grow louder and louder. Before she knew it the volume was screaming in her ear. The singer seemed to be saying something in a deep, low toned voice, but she couldn’t quite make out what he was saying.

“Hello?” she tried to get the boy’s attention but his head remained down. “My… My name’s Jane.” She attempted to smile but there was a strange feeling in her face. It seemed as though the boy were emitting an aura of unhappiness. Suddenly the boy’s body turned to her. She still couldn’t see his face but his head was rising

“Who are you?” She said backing up slightly. The music began to grow piercingly loud. She realized she couldn’t hear anybody else’s voice. She turned her head to make sure they were all still there but everyone seemed to be frozen. The atmosphere had become a pale grey hue. She turned back to the boy and shrieked. His face was a pale blue shade, with red glowing eyes. His music seemed to growl “Nevermore, Nevermore.” A screech came from between his fangs and she found herself too frightened to move. The girl’s ears began to drip with blood, her mouth lined with white foam. She couldn’t cry out for help. As she fell to the floor time began to move, but it was too late. She blacked out, never to wake up.


The author's comments:
I like writing Dark things. I write my best stuff when I'm in my worst moods.