Arachnaphobia | Teen Ink

Arachnaphobia

By freakblood GOLD, Indianapolis, Indiana
freakblood GOLD, Indianapolis, Indiana

“I'm hunger. I'm thirst. Where I bite, I hold till I die, and even after death they must cut out my mouthful from my enemy's body and bury it with me. I can fast a hundred years and not die. I can lie a hundred nights on the ice and not freeze. I can drink a river of blood and not burst. Show me your enemies.” - C.S Lewis in Prince Caspian

“No!” He screamed as they drug him down the halls.

“I can assure you, Mr. Johnson, there are no spiders in this room!” The man in the white jacket spoke with a frustrated tone. He tried to lead Jim through the set of double doors.

“They are there! You just don’t know it!” Jim hollered.

“Mr. Johnson, you have hyperactive arachnophobia and acute psychosis. It is…” the doctor uttered. He was interrupted by Jim’s frantic panicky voice.

“You always say that, but when you throw me into that room, they hide! As soon as you leave they start crawling ALL OVER me!”

“The cameras will…” the doctor was interrupted again.

“Cameras are a conspiracy! They only show you what you want to see! Stay with me this time! You’ll see! Don’t leave me alone with her again!”

“Mr. Johnson,” the older doctor grew impatient, “you said you’ve encountered her before, right?”

“You should have seen her!” Jim jumped right past the answer. “There she was! A massive beast! Her fangs were at least four feet long and…” This time Jim was interrupted.

“So you survived?” The question seemed more like a statement.

“Just barely, her fangs were crushing me but…” Jim couldn’t get a word in edgewise.

“So you will be fine this time.” The older doctor spoke with a harsh, unfeeling tone. The younger doctor tried to console him.

“I promise you, everything will be okay.” He looked into Jim’s darting eyes, calming the old man just a little.

“No.” Jim grew silent as he spoke. “No, it will never be okay again.” The two men grabbed his shoulders, about to put him in the observing cell. Jim’s eyes darted to the guards at the end of the hall. Suddenly, he leapt up and pushed past the doctors. The officers were not looking so he bolted in between them, pushing them down as he dove through the doors. The only problem with his escape plan was that he was wearing a straight jacket. When he dove out of the hallway he landed on his arms, causing extreme pain.

“No! No! Not again! No!” The man yelled as the policemen picked him up and forcefully pulled him to the entrance of the room. “You’re all working for her! All of you!”

“Her?” the younger doctor inquired as he gawked at the scene.

“Yes,” the other doctor sighed “He thinks there is a queen spider, larger than any imaginable. Supposedly she has the power to control peoples’ minds.” He rolled his eyes as he turned to walk away.

“But, wait!” The younger doctor impeded his exit. “So, why hasn’t she taken him too then? In his mind, I mean!” The rookie corrected himself.

“That’s a good question” The elder spoke sarcastically. His voice grew stern again as he said “Don’t encourage him with it.”

The young man turned to follow him out the door when he realized the commotion behind him grew silent. He turned to see Jim staring in awe at him.

“She can’t get to me, I’ve got to strong a brain to be taken.” He spoke calmly.

“Mr. Johnson, I’m going to be watching you through this camera,” the doctor pointed to the corner of the room. “can you tell me what she looks like so I know what to look for?”

This was all the man needed to begin smiling bigger than the young practitioner had ever seen. “She’s huge. You can’t miss her, eight legs, massive thorax, but the most captivating feature is her hour glass.”

“Her hour glass?” The doctor seemed baffled.

“Yeah, she has a bright red hour glass on her back.”

“Like a black widow!” the doctor knew just the spider. Only, this particular spider was one of the smallest. Deadliest, but small.

“Yeah! That’s the one!”

“Okay, I’ll watch out for that.” He assured the man as the officers escorted him into the room.

“You don't actually believe him do you?” One of them asked.

“Why shouldn't I?” The doctor replied.

“Because he's a lunatic!” He said as they both laughed and walked back to their post. The doctor took his seat in the camera room, paying close attention to Jim.

The crazed man seemed to jump and roll around the room as if he was on fire, and then he grew solemn. He blankly starred at what appeared to be thin air, frozen stiff. As the doctor peered into the TV screen he noticed that Jim seemed mesmerized by some imaginary object set infront of him. Suddenly, the old coot collapsed.

The doctor swiftly flew out of his chair and ran to the door, beckoning the policemen back. He flung the door open and in a heartbeat was over the man’s body. The doctor checked his vital signs, and did everything he could to get a sign of life.

Jim Johnson was pronounced dead by the coroner. His body was then taken from the middle of the floor to an autopsy table. The report read as follows.

“Pronounced dead: 9:45 p.m.

Name: Jim Johnson

Cause of Death: Black Widow spider bite in the back of the neck.”

“He said he’d seen her before.” The young doctor spoke while reading the last line. “We all just assumed he survived.”

I really hate spiders