I'm Sorry | Teen Ink

I'm Sorry

July 21, 2012
By NinjaKittyKawaii SILVER, Cleveland, Ohio
NinjaKittyKawaii SILVER, Cleveland, Ohio
8 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"If people make fun of you, it probably means you're doing something right."
~Amy Lee

"Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else."
~Judy Garland


As they danced, the music was the only sound to be heard, other than the beating of his heart. He dipped her low, gently tracing her porcelain skin with his fingers before bringing her back up. And as they spun, he couldn’t help but be caught up in the moment, letting his happiness and love for her engulf his very being.

The music ended and the swaying stopped. He pulled her into a tight embrace, savoring the scent of her perfume. “I love you,” he murmured into her dark hair.

The moment was perfect. He had no worries in the world. He needed nothing. He wanted nothing. Only the overwhelming sense of love he had for her mattered. It was perfect.

But nothing lasts forever.

In that moment, the sound of sirens flooded the streets. He sat her down and went to the window. Through the blinds, he saw the flashing red and blue lights. They had come for him.

He kicked the nearby table, causing pictures to fall over. He was angry. Of all times they could have come for him, they had to choose to ruin the best moment in his life.

“Stupid pigs,” he growled to himself. He shuffled through some items on the coffee table. When he found it, he marched back over to her. “Can you walk?” he asked her. She didn’t say. Her blue eyes just stared back at him.

“Of course,” he chuckled to himself. He should’ve known she’d want him to carry her. He scooped her up bridal style and made his way past the kitchen and into the garage.

He heard a crash inside from where he sat in the vehicle and a shout saying, “Police! Come out with your hands up!”

He spared a glance at her, quickly apologizing, “Sorry. No time for seatbelts.”

There was no time for opening the garage door either. He backed up his SUV as fast as he could. The clash of metal on metal rang loudly in his ears as he smashed through the garage door. Not stopping, his vehicle also crashed into the Crown Victoria parked at the end of his driveway, also pushing it out of his way.

Out on the street, he sped towards the main road, not even noticing the police barricade at the end of the street. He drove straight past them without looking their way. He also didn’t pull out the pistol tucked into his pants to return fire as he barreled towards the police. The only thing in his mind that mattered was getting her away from this.

~*~

After switching between stolen vehicles a few times and driving through every nook and cranny of the city, he made his way to a cheap motel just inside the city limits. After getting a room for the night, he went back out and carried her inside.

“I’m sorry it’s not that nice, but it’s the best I could do,” he said to her before letting sleep pull him under.

A routine developed over the next few days. They’d still a car, drive to another motel, stay the night, and leave in the morning. Each time, he’d smile at her and apologize for not having somewhere better to stay.

One day, in a room decorated with peeling floral patterns and the smell of urine, he settled next to her and put his arm protectively around her. He breathed her in as he had done many times before. But something wasn’t right. Her usual perfume scent was replaced by the pungent smell of road kill.

“Not to be mean or anything,” he said, ”but you seriously need a shower.”

She didn’t reply. She just lied there, void of all emotion.

He poked her cheek. Still, she didn’t respond. So he sat up and looked her in the eyes. “Are you okay? I figured you’d be screaming at me for saying that. Did I make you so angry you won’t speak? I’m sorry, okay. I’m sorry so lets just move on and get you clean.”

After the shower, he put her back on the bed, cuddling next her. Her traced her face, admiring her beauty. “What are you thinking about?” he asked. She didn’t reply and he grew worried. “Are you still mad? Come on. Talk to me.” Still, she did not reply. His frown deepened as he struggled to figure out the problem. Finally, he realized it. “It’s this place isn’t it?”

Filled with glee from solving the problem, he gathered their few possessions and her as he left. He drove around for the next hour until he finally settled on a decent looking motel. He parked and looked over to her. “Wait here,” he said, exiting the car.

He walked inside and asked for a room.

“Sure,” the attendant said, squinting her eyes at him as if trying to recall the name of an old acquaintance. “Sign your name and you’ll be all set.”

He did as he was told and started towards the door. On his was out, the attendant stopped him. “Hey, do I know you from somewhere?”

He looked back and sent a charming smile her way. “No. I don’t believe so.”

The attendant went back to the TV until the next costumer came, suddenly remembering why the man had looked familiar.

Inside of their room, the man placed her on the bed, staring anxiously. “Is this better?” he asked. “Do you not like it? Is there something you want? Why aren’t you speaking? Talk to me. Tell me what’s wrong and I’ll fix it. I’ll do anything you want. You know I live for you.”

He grumbled in frustration at her lack of response. All he was trying to do was make her happy and she wouldn’t say ‘thank you’ or ‘love you.’ She wouldn’t even tell him what would me her happy.

He sighed. “I’m sorry,” he said, kissing her lips. “You’re really cold. Maybe a blanket will make you feel better.”

After wrapping the blanket around her, he sat in a chair, letting the dark abyss of his mind take over. Just as sleep was about to take hold, the sound of sirens that he had grown too accustomed to blare outside, jolting him from his rest.

He jumped up to his feet and was immediately by her side. He heard the police outside say his name through the sirens saying, “Surrender the girl and come out with your hands up. We’ve got you surrounded.”

Her ground his teeth together, trying to think of an escape plan. But he knew it was futile. There was only one exit and the police had that covered. He supposed he could smash through the walls into the other rooms until he finally busted out into the street. But he wasn’t The Incredible Hulk and he wasn’t going find a sledgehammer anywhere near.

He gazed down at her, brushed the hair from her face, and kissed her forehead. “I’m sorry it all had to end this way.”

He turned to the door, reached behind him, and pulled out the gun. He stepped forward and opened the door to the battlefield. He fell, full of bullets, as soon as he took aim. When he hit the ground, images of her fluttered through his mind. He thought of every time he saw her, every time he caressed her, and every moment she graced him with her presence.

“Hey, are you okay?” he asked as he choked on his blood. “Will you please talk to me? I would… I would be so happy to hear your voice. Please… let it be… the last…be the last…”

The officer walked in, keeping his gun pointing on him. He bent down, checked the pulse, and confirmed the death. He then looked to the bed, to check on the girl. All it took was a look to know that she was gone. That she has been gone for a while.

“We’re too late,” he said to the other officers walking in. “All of this time, we’ve been too late.”