The Dolphin | Teen Ink

The Dolphin

By aylak13575 SILVER, Livonia, Michigan
aylak13575 SILVER, Livonia, Michigan

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible" - Walt Disney

Once upon a time, during a time when Roman and Greek influence were both dominant, a family of five lived by the sea. A father, a mother and three children, the oldest a boy of fifteen years, the middle a girl of twelve years, and the youngest a boy of five years. For as long as they all had lived, the family lived in a little house by the sea. They lived in harmony with the sea, and never took more from it then they needed to. The two sea gods, Neptune and Poseidon blessed the family.

Neptune, the Roman god of the sea ruled over all creatures of the sea that were strong and powerful. He led all sharks and whales away from the family whenever they were out fishing. Poseidon, the Greek god of the sea ruled over all creatures that were elegant and graceful. He sent his beautiful creatures to swim with the family when they were out swimming.

One day, when winter was approaching and both of the parents had fallen ill, the three children had gone out on their boat fishing. They had taken the family boat out to the ocean and rowed out from the shore about two miles. They spent a long day out on the ocean fishing and they had caught not even a single fish. Out of anger, the eldest boy threw his trident into the ocean. As he threw his trident, he watched as it accidentally hit a blue whale that happened to be swimming by.

This angered Neptune because he had unnecessarily killed one of his most beloved creatures. He knew that it was an accident, but Neptune didn’t care. He unleashed his rage but creating a storm so huge that it created waves ten feet tall. The mother and father who were back on land saw the storm coming and immediately ran to the shore, hoping their children were alright. The three children were immediately thrown out of their boat and into the sea by the waves.
This angered Poseidon. He was able to change the current of the water to drift the eldest boy, and middle girl to a rock formation where they sat hugging each other for warmth calling for their brother, but he could not save the youngest son, and he was the one who needed help the most.
Even though he knew how to swim, he wasn’t strong enough to battle the mighty waves. Neptune saw Poseidon helping the other two children to safety, so he concentrated on the youngest and smallest boy. He used all his power to drag him under the waves, but the small boy refused to give up, he had a lot of strength in him for someone so small, but he was using up all his strength and he couldn’t continue on for much longer. He was then pulled under the waves for the final time when he was only a few yards out of his siblings reach.
Poseidon took pity on the young boy and wanted to change him into one of his most beautiful creatures, but unfortunately, Neptune had the same idea. He wanted to turn the boy into a deadly creature that would attack the other two siblings. Their powers hit the lifeless body of the boy at the exact same moment, and the result was an amazing creature.
The creature was mighty and strong, for it had a strong tail which it used to swim gracefully through the water, and it when it swam, it had a majestic quality to it that no other animal created ever possessed. Its skin was smooth like a shark’s, but it did not possess the aggressive quality of a shark. It could swim to the depths of the ocean, but yet it always had to come to the surface to breathe.
Neptune saw the creature and was not happy. He summoned a great white shark, his most feared creature to attack the two other children. The two other siblings were sitting on the rock formation grieving the death of their brother, so they barely noticed when the shark was approaching.
Their brother, who was getting used to his new body, saw the shark approaching his siblings and went over to defend them. When Neptune saw this, he laughed which caused a small ripple in the ocean. He knew no creature could fight his almighty shark, but he was wrong. When the little brother swam over to the shark, he didn’t even have to get within a few feet before the shark swam away. Neptune was shocked that such an animal could scare away one of his most deadly creatures, for the dolphin possessed an aura of power that no animal would want to mess with. Feeling defeated, Neptune retired in the bottom of the deepest abyss in the sea.
Poseidon calmed the ocean, and the youngest boy swam over to his two siblings. The two older siblings looked over at the strange creature with awe, for they did not yet know that it was their brother. Poseidon had told them by whispering it through the ocean breeze that their brother was still with them but in a different form. Recognizing their brother at once, they both ran over the edge and jumped in the water and hugged the strange creature that was their brother. They then wondered how they were going to get back to their home, but the youngest boy had a solution to that problem.
The parents were waiting by the sea, hoping that their children had survived. They eventually spotted a dot on the horizon. It was the two oldest children being pulled by their younger brother, in his new body form to the shore. The parents ran out into the water, and were sadden to see that only two of their children had survived, and stared in awe at the strange creature that pulled them to shore. The children explained how the oldest boy had stabbed the whale, and how the storm had taken their brother’s life, but he had been transformed into a new beautiful creature. The parents looked at the strange creature and hugged it, for they knew it was their son. The family was still together, but they just had some things to adjust to.
Once upon a time, during a time when Roman and Greek influence were both dominant, a family of five lived by the sea. A father, a mother and three children, the oldest a boy of fifteen years, the middle a girl of twelve years, and the youngest a boy of five years who was magically transformed into one of the most beloved creatures of all time. For as long as they all had lived, the family lived in a little house by the sea, with their little brother always close by. They lived in harmony with the sea, and never took more from it then they needed to. As long as the family was alive, their brother was always there by the shore, protecting them from all the dangers of the sea. Their brother, the dolphin.

A folk tale about how the Dolphin was created