Finding Superman | Teen Ink

Finding Superman

June 27, 2012
By Staystrong13 PLATINUM, Royse City, Texas
Staystrong13 PLATINUM, Royse City, Texas
23 articles 27 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"What we call the beginning is often the end. And to make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." -T.S. Eliot


Stars line the sky as the moon ripples over the glittering pond and an owl coos a lullaby to the world. The warm summer air is sprinkled with lightning bugs and creatures of the night explore the earth oblivious to the evolution of man’s impact.
Throughout time man has caused destruction, for any race whom is cannibalistic enough to deliberately tear each other to shred shall do nothing but harm. Man knows nothing of good, they know only hate but there are those few who have learned the mystical thing called compassion. In a world of bloody chaos we turn to someone to save us all, a savior among us, for if we have a hero we may just survive.
Auburn hair, the color of honey in the moonlight, eyes the color of icy sea foam and a voice more melodic than any Mozart piece belong to this sweet girl of retrospective hope. This girl, alone in the world, knows not of the arrogance and ignorance of humanity as they play God, deciding who lives and who dies. Naïve and innocent she stares in wonder completely distraught for she has never seen such horrors unfold.
She is a child at best but man does not see that. He steals her pride, dignity, innocence, hope, and to some extent her life. There was no hero to save her as her blood soiled the ground. There was no hero to dry her tears, to calm her fears, to soothe her broken body, caress her shattered heart or to pick her up and place her on her feet. “Where were you Superman?” she screams as tears of betrayal slip down her cheeks, “Where were you?! So you not care anymore? Who scorned you, making you cold and dead to the world?! Who betrayed you to the point of no return?! Do you hear me, you coward?! Have you no soul left?!” She began to break, falling to her knees, weeping, for that is all she can do. “Why did you not help me,” She says between sobs as she chokes on her tears.
The warm air begins to turn to ice as the August air is taken captive by the icy winds brought by only Hades himself. A vague silhouette is framed into the pillow of a coffin that holds a faithful hero; his name forever engraved in granite stone. Tears fall from the heavens. Even the strongest fall for here lies the strongest of them all.
Everyone needs something to believe in, a simple strand of hope instead of regret, someone to look up to, just one shrivel of light in a dark world of night. But no one even thinks of the heroes needing a hero. Everyone breaks, everyone falls, everyone bleeds, everyone cries, everyone needs a hero to run to. What happens the day your hero breaks and no one shall catch them? Even Superman falls, will you be there to catch him or will you betray him yet again as he falls to his slow demise?