The Darkest Day | Teen Ink

The Darkest Day

June 22, 2008
By Anonymous

We all gawked at it as it mysteriously flew by, assuming that it was just our imagination and all puzzled of what it might be. This was a strange object, it was like nothing I had ever seen before, and I had no idea what it was. It was bright and disk like, maybe fifty times the size of me. I looked around at everyone and everything, motionless, it seemed as if time had just stopped. Seconds later it vanished, and all that was left was an enormous bang and a series of windy bursts that knocked everyone off their feet and onto the ground.

“They’re here!!” everyone began to shout.
At first I didn’t understand, but then it hit me, it was them, they were back. No one really knew who they were, or where they had come from or even what they wanted with us. All I new was that they were dark in color, had scaly skin and well, just plain ugly. They were just aliens is what I liked to think. The first time we encountered them they nearly destroyed our whole planet, just like they had planned. Somehow I could tell this time was going to be different. This time we would have nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, we were doomed. At first they would try crawl into our heads, you know make us think that they just wanted peace. Sadly no matter what we tried to do, they were finally going to destroy all of us this time.
Everyone tried blowing all the events off like it was nothing, but the truth was they frightened, but too proud to admit it. The last time they created a huge mark in history. It was the darkest day in human history and it was happening all over again. Thousands vowed for peace but never got it, they showed no mercy. We knew that one day they’d be back to finish the job they started and today was that day. This time they were more intelligent, judging by their ship that just flew in a few hours ago. This time was real different, this time every living cell on Earth would have to fight for its survival. I knew that was the truth and deep down everyone knew it, no matter how afraid they were to admit it.
Out of the corner of my eye I saw gigantic black clouds hovering in from over the mountains. Almost instantly rain began to fall and then piercing roars of thunder rumbled on and on. People started running up and down the streets screaming at the top of their lungs. Some ran into things like telephone poles or mailboxes, they were out of control. Then there were others that didn’t say a thing because they were shook up to their very core. People were acting like crazy maniacs, and that’s when I knew it was happening all over again, just like I feared. Soon they the world we new and loved we be at an end.
I soon found myself where no one else would dare to go, right down beside where their ship had crashed. Trying to be quiet I crouched down and gently leaned over. What I saw amazed me. All of them, thousands of them lined up in rows. They were building up an army. I leaned back, and then leaned forward again to make sure my eyes weren’t playing tricks on me. To my surprise one of them spotted me, I turned around as fast as I could, getting ready to run, but in a flash they were right behind me, I tried to run but they caught me.
I woke up in a room, strapped to a metal table. I tried to turn my head, but couldn’t because my neck was strapped against the table. There was nothing but silence and very bright lights. Down the hall I heard a faint scream, at that point my stomach began to shrink. Suddenly I heard footsteps coming closer and closer. Before I knew it they were right behind me, one of them extending his arm to put over my mouth, the other pulling out a knife and what looked like scissors. I tried screaming for help, but they had me.
“AHH!!!!” I shouted and broke free as a knife plunged into my side.
I screamed louder and louder hoping someone would hear me. But I soon stopped because the pain was too intense. Another knife stabbed me, I squeezed the table as hard as I could hoping it would make the pain go away, but it didn’t. Tears ran down my face one after another. I couldn’t go on any longer.
I woke up very sore and in a lot of pain. Then without thinking I slowly lifted up my shirt, trying to prepare myself for what I might see, then I saw two huge slices one on each side of my stomach. That was enough, I had to escape. Every way I turned it hurt, but I didn’t care, I slowly stood up and limped to the door. As soon as I stepped into the hallway a siren went off. I heard them running after me, faster and faster they were gaining on me. I tried limping as fast as I could but fell and hit the floor just as I thought I would.
Then everything became blurry and all I remember was someone grabbing my leg and pulling me away. When I woke up again this time I wasn’t on a table, I was on the ground in the exact spot I was before the ship had crashed. Then lying there beside me was a note and all it said was “It’s over now”. I stood up, thinking that maybe it was all just a dream. Or maybe it was just my imagination. I guess I’ll never know who the mystery person who saved my life was. Either way there was nothing to fear now. I’m still not sure what happened on that darkest day, but even if I knew I’d probably never tell…