Rumors | Teen Ink

Rumors

June 22, 2008
By Anonymous

High school is known for its peer pressure, stress and DRAMA. I was halfway through my sophomore year at Lake Cove High School and my life was good. I had an amazing boyfriend of six months, Jason, who was my “first love”. I also had my best friend of 7 years, Ashley, who always stuck by my side, my parents were still happily married and I was a straight A student. I was determined to make it through my four years of high school unbothered by the immature mishaps that everyone else seemed to go through. I didn’t like to get involved in rumors so I mostly ignored them when I heard my friends gossiping, although one did happen to catch my attention. One Friday after school, my friend Cara rushed over to where I was standing by my locker with bright eyes. I could already tell she had some juicy gossip waiting to spill.
“Oh-my-gosh!” she screeched, barely able to stand still. “Blair, you have to promise me you won’t freak out!”
“Alright…” I replied uncertainly.
“Okay, I’m really, really sorry, but like Lisa said that Stephen said that Tyler said that Jessica said she saw your Jason like macking on Ashley! You didn’t hear it from me though.” she said all within one breath.
My heart stopped, I couldn’t breathe, and everything around me started to blur. My hands went to my face and I could feel the hot, wet tears flowing out of my eyes. Without saying a word, I rushed to the nearest empty bathroom to collect my thoughts before anyone else could see me.

“He couldn’t do that to me. He wouldn’t do that to me. She wouldn’t do that to me, she was practically my sister. She knew how I felt about him. Right? They do seem to flirt a lot… but they’re just good friends that’s all. It’s just a stupid rumor.” I tried to convince myself while wiping a stream of mascara from my cheek. I looked into the mirror at my splotchy-faced reflection then splashed some water on my face.

“Don’t let anyone see you like this. Blair Kingsley does not cry.” I took a deep breath and made a beeline for the front of the building. My mom was already waiting for me in the car with a big smile.

“Hi honey, how was school?” she asked, her usual question.

“Fine.” no way was I going to tell her what I heard; she would try to get all involved like she always did.

“Something wrong?” she could tell I wasn’t my usual peppy self.

“Just... tired that’s all.” I replied, closing my eyes. I couldn’t wait to just slip into my warm pjs and go to bed.
“Tomorrow everything will be back to normal.” I thought to myself.
I woke up the next morning to sunlight streaming through my window. I had a cute text from Jason saying he wanted to hang out just the two of us that day and to come over at 5:00. I thought back to the day before and what Cara had said. It seemed like just a bad dream now, maybe it was.


To get rid of the negative thoughts that were threatening to ruin my day and clear my head, I decided to go for a run. I changed into shorts and a t-shirt, pulled my hair back and set out into the crisp, frosty morning air.
I listened to upbeat songs on my iPod and came back home feeling refreshed. I took a shower and got ready for the day, then got on AIM to see who was online. Three IM boxes popped up at once, all talking about the same awful rumor I had heard the previous day. I quickly closed them all and signed off my screen name. I was furious then; things like this just did not happen to me. I immediately realized I had to confront Jason and Ashley about it. Taking a deep breath, I dialed Ashley’s cell number and it rang three times before she picked up.
“Blair? Hey girl! I was just thinking about you, what’s up?” She asked in her familiar warming voice that always made me smile.
“Hey Ashley… um I was just calling because, well I heard this really stupid rumor that you and Jason were hooking up behind my back. I didn’t believe it, but then a bunch of other people asked me about it. But it’s so not true, right?”
“Oh no!” she gushed. “Of course not, I would never do that to you! You know that. People are just jealous of you since Jason is like the hottest guy in our grade.”
“Okay,” I sighed, relieved. “Yea you’re probably right. Thanks Ashley, I’ll talk to you later.”
Ashley would never lie to me, so of course the rumor wasn’t true. I wanted to go tell Jason about how dumb everyone was being, so I called him to say I was coming over early. He didn’t answer and he lived just down the street, so I decided on surprising him. Half an hour later, at around 2:30, I walked up to his house and went to the back door. It looked like no one was home since there were no cars were in his driveway. I peered through the glass to see if I could spot anyone. Just then, my heart dropped and the smile faded from my face as I witnessed my worst fear happening before my very eyes. In the living room, on his big brown couch, Jason, my boyfriend, was lip-locked with Ashley, my very best friend. Before I could think, I threw open the back door, which was luckily unlocked or I might have kicked it in, and stomped inside in a rage of fury. Jason and Ashley broke away from each other and looked at me with shock in their eyes.

“I knew it! I knew it was true! You’re such a liar Ashley, I can’t believe you. I never want to see your face again.” I screamed in Ashley’s face, and then turned to Jason.

“Hope you guys are happy together.” I said before slapping him across his pathetic face.
With that I marched out, slammed the back door, and practically sprinted back home.

Now it has been almost a year, and I have forgiven them both because I realize it would be a burden on me to be so bitter. I have chosen not to be friends with Ashley although she’s apologized a zillion times and begged for my friendship back. It’s going to take time and I’m not ready to allow her back into my life just yet. Unfortunately, for Jason, none of my friends like him after what he did and I can only manage a small “Hi” when we pass in the hallways. He will be moving to Florida in a month and I think that is probably for the best. And as for me, I’m slowly beginning to trust people again but I’m definitely more cautious. I have learned who my true friends are, and I realized that the “immature mishaps” that happen in high school are actually lessons we can all learn from before we go out into the world on our own.