Becoming a True Hero | Teen Ink

Becoming a True Hero

Jeremy, is an average high school student. He’s a boy just like you, only one thing is different. He wants to be a hero. His life aspiration is to do something good enough to be called a hero, to be a true hero.

Jeremy searched the internet trying to be like ‘Batman’ or ‘Capt. America’. He learned how to fight, how to speak many languages. Even how to sneak around without being heard. Though that’s just what he did in the privacy of his own home.

At school Jeremy is like everyone else. In order to fit in he dresses like the other kids, talks like the other kids, and even picks on the kids the other kids pick on.

One day Jeremy noticed some of his friends bullying another kid who was ‘different’. Jeremy didn’t know the kid, he just walked up and joined his friends prodding of the boy. When he was done the boy was crying, and Jeremy made fun of that as well.

The sad thing about it was that it didn’t effect Jeremy at all. Jeremy’s mood changed one day. He was wondering what made a hero a hero, then he realized that a hero is a person who does what is right no matter what.

Now you would think that after Jeremy made this realization he would realize that what he did to the kid was wrong? Well if you said “yes” your wrong. Next day Jeremy did the same exact thing, except this time he got a little violent and pushed the boy.

Jeremy didn’t care about the boy, or anyone else but himself. Then, in history class, he got paired up with the boy. The boy, even after all of Jeremy’s bullying, was happy that he got paired up with Jeremy because he thought he was “cool”.

“Why are you smiling, I’ve been a jerk to you.” Jeremy asked.

“Well, I’ve finally been paired up with someone cool.” the boy said.

“Well, just do the work and don’t talk to me.” Jeremy said.

“Okay.” the boy said.

Two months later, Jeremy was walking down a hallway. The boy he once picked on was getting beat up by some of Jeremy’s friends. Jeremy stood there and watched as two of Jeremy’s friends pushed and punched a scrawny kid half their size. Finally, Jeremy saw what was wrong.

The boy was wearing short blue jeans, and a Scooby-Do T-shirt. He had broken glasses, underwear pulled out of his pants, and a bloody nose.

“Stop, hey, you guys. Stop!” Jeremy yelled.

“Why, he’s just a nerd.”

“It’s not right, it’s not even fair. Just leave him alone.” Jeremy said.

“Fine.”

Jeremy bent down to ask the boy on the ground whether he was okay or not. The boy wasn’t okay, he was just laying there. Finally, the boy came to his senses.

“You stopped them?” the boy asked.

“Yeah.” Jeremy said, helping the boy to his feat.

“Why?” the boy asked.

“It wasn’t right, what they did, what I did. It just wasn’t right.” Jeremy said.

“Thanks, my name is Pete.” Pete said.

“Yeah, I’m Jeremy.” Jeremy said.

“Hey, I’ve got a comic book collection at home, want to come and check some out? I don’t know if comic books are what you would consider ‘cool’ but I like them.” Pete asked.

“Uh, you know what? I’m a big Batman fan, count me in.” Jeremy said.

Pete introduced Jeremy into the world of comic books. Jeremy ended up loving them so much he decided to take up writing comic books for himself, he never regretted the decision he made that day, and he never knew that he himself was a hero.

dolphinportkey7 GOLD, D, Other

"Because I knew you, I have been changed for good" AND "'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all"

I like it, it's a very good message! Just a few small suggestions: try and replace words like "said" with synonyms, even if it's just "told" or "explained." It mixes things up for the reader and helps grab their attention. Also, how abotu some descriptions of Jeremy or the bullies? What do they look like? That's all, keep it up, this was excellent! :D