HER Story | Teen Ink

HER Story

Perfection. That’s what everyone in HER world thought of HER. SHE was absolutely gorgeous. HER lengthy ebony hair spilled down HER back. HER bronze skin glistened like the sun, and HER sepia eyes beamed like the stars. SHE was Genevieve. SHE had HER mother’s looks and intelligence, but HER attitude came from HER father. SHE was as close to perfect beauty as humanly possible. SHE was a very pretty box with a nice bow but nothing inside. So everyone thought. If only anyone knew the truth.
Diary,

I’m so happy to finally have a place to express the real me. Let me tell you how you came to my possession. Well…where shall I start…today is my 15th Birthday. I know…it’s wonderful. My mother gave you to me this morning when I woke up. It kind of surprised me. (We’re not very close.) To tell the truth I thought she had forgotten my birthday. I have a feeling you are going to be my best friend. I don’t really have anyone to talk to. Believe it or not…a lot of people don’t like me. Some of them meet me and think I’m a snob. I’m not…I swear.
Most people only judge the outside…know one knows the REAL me. I wish people would just stop judging. Well anyway, back to how you came about my mother said she saw you in a bookstore. She mentioned to me that you just screamed my name at her. By the way…it’s Genevieve. Pretty isn’t it? I know. It seems like I should give you a name. I’m not sure of what yet. I’ll sleep on it and ill get back to you. Let me tell you about my day…Daddy took Mother and me out for dinner at this cute little Caribbean restaurant called Paradise . It was almost perfect. Of course Mother had to start trouble with me. She always has something to say when Daddy gives me gifts. She is so jealous of me. Back to my story…after dessert Daddy handed me this black small velvet box. Mother’s eyes got huge and green.
“Go on; open it,” he chanted, “for Daddy’s greatest gift.” I opened the box and it was a 3 carat diamond ring with a platinum setting. Daddy said, “When you meet the man you plan on marrying, you bring him to me and I will take that ring off your finger so he can put his there. But only if he is a man worthy of marrying my precious Queen.”
“Daddy I love it so much it’s so beautiful. This is the best thing I’ve ever gotten. Daddy you are so wonderful. You do too much for me. I really appreciate this.”
“Read the engraving Queen. It’s made special for you.”
She read it aloud. “Perfection. Genevieve.”
“Daddy, it’s really great.”
“I don’t think this is an appropriate gift for a child James,” chimed in Mother.
“She is not a child anymore Henriette,” Daddy shot back, “she is a beautiful young lady. Leave her alone.”
“Whatever you say James, is how it’s going to be.”
Mother leaned over while Daddy wasn’t looking and whispered, “You must be pretty darn special to have a man chasing after you, and you aren’t grown yet. Not to mention the man is your father. Watch yourself little girl.”
“Mother, get over yourself. Leave me alone. You will never be like me.”

So yeah…that’s pretty much how Mother managed to ruin my birthday. Don’t get me wrong we love each other dearly we just get on each others nerves. We are too much a like. I kind of wrote all of that stuff like I was writing a story. I’ve been thinking about it lately…and I think that’s what I want to be when I grow up….a writer I mean. No one would expect that of me though. My eyes are getting tired. I’ll write you in the morning.
Smooches. Genevieve.
January 2, 2000 6:45 a.m.
I had a dream last night and your name came to me, are you ready? I know the suspense is killing you. Your name is….Mylee. It just came to me when I woke up this morning. I have to get ready for school. Write to you later.
Smooches. Genevieve.
Genevieve prepared for the long hard day ahead of her. She had her music boomed through the house as she showered and got dressed... Her father pounded his fist against the door incessantly.
“Queen, can I come in?” he shouted loudly.
“Of course Daddy, you’re always welcome in my room. You should know that.”
“Queen, I’m really proud of you.” Her father spoke as he beamed with pride as he fingered her many awards and trophies.
“Proud of what Daddy?” asked Genevieve absent-mindedly.
She was daydreaming as usual. She always thought of a life that was normal. The type of life where she didn’t need to be perfect to be loved. She always felt that if she didn’t try to please everyone life would be a lot easier. She lacked concentration and focus her teachers always told her parents. But her straight A report cards and many athletic achievements prove otherwise.
“Genevieve, Genevieve,” her father chimed, “earth to Genevieve”
“Oh sorry Daddy, what did you say again?”
“I was just saying how proud of you I was. I can’t believe my Queen is all grown up. I just can’t believe I let the years fly past me without spending more time with you. I really wish I didn’t have to work so much Queen. But I have to make this money so I can give my two favorite ladies everything they need.”
“Daddy its okay you’re a great father. I love you lots Daddy.”
“I love you too Queen. Hurry up and get ready and I’ll drop you off at school.”
“I’m through I just have to put on my shoes.”
“Queen, you have style.”

“Just like her mother,” spoke her mother as she poked her head through the window, “you look gorgeous Genevieve.”

“I know it, trust and believe.” Genevieve said jokingly while striking a models pose.”
January 2, 2000 10:00 p.m.
I had the absolute best day today Mylee, it was so perfect! I have a new teacher this semester her name is Tracey. Yes she lets us call her by her first name. She is so cool; she is so straight forward and honest. She told me that I have an “obsession” with perfection. Let me tell you how it all started. The bell rang and everyone rushed into the classroom and waited for the teacher. I sat in the middle row of my last period Free Speech class. It was something new the school was trying. I had heard we had a new teacher everyone said she was a rookie. I started a conversation with the new girl sitting in the desk beside me. She seemed fairly pleasant. It was mindless talk about school games and she told me she had heard a lot about how smart and athletic I was. Then she had the audacity to tell me that she also heard I was a stuck-up snob and only thought about myself. Then she suddenly stood up walked to the front of the class and introduced herself.
“Hello everybody, my name is Tracey, and I’m the “rookie.” I’m the new Free Speech teacher and I’m happy to see that everyone is here.”
“You idiot how dare you be so rude to me and turn out to be the teacher!” I spat vehemently.
“I said I had heard that about you, I didn’t say that’s what I thought” she spoke calmly.
“It was still rude if someone said it behind my apparently they’re not brave enough to say it to my face no one at this school is.”
“You’re right; I should have gotten to know you before I told you something like that. I didn’t know how you would react. That’s my downfall; I push people too close to the edge. I don’t know limits. I never could quite comprehend that particular thing. I apologize for my rudeness Genevieve. Back to what I was saying I want everyone starting here,” she pointed to the first desk on the first row of her right, “to stand up and introduce their self.”
Everyone on each row stood and then it became my turn I stood and spoke confidently, “My name is Genevieve, no last name needed you all know me. I’m the only freshman to make Varsity soccer, lacrosse, track, basketball, volleyball, and softball. I’m also the only freshman, since my mother went to Quincy Adams High, to be captain of the debate team and student body president. I’m currently 15 years of age since January 1, 2000.”
Tracey said jokingly,” You sound like an aress!”
“What?”
“It’s what I say when I don’t want to be profane.”
The entire class laughed loudly and I joined them. It was funny, I have to admit it. The bell rung and she ask to speak to me after class. She waited until after the class emptied.
She asked me would I like to go out for coffee I accepted her invitation. She drove a really nice car, a 2000 Altima. There was nothing but silence except for the Jill Scott c.d. she had playing softly in the background. She drove me outside of town to a little coffee shop in the next city. She took back roads so all I could see was trees, farmlands and horses. The entire ride took about twenty minutes. We ordered our drinks and sat down in a small booth in the back of the shop.
She asked suddenly, “Genevieve, may I be honest with you?”
“Sure you can Tracey.”
“Just by knowing you one day, I think you are obsessed with pleasing everyone. You over analyze every step you make. You always put yourself last and you have many emotional walls put up to protect your heart. I understand people don’t like you, but you shouldn’t sweat the small stuff just be yourself.”
I started to tear up, “You just met me and you’re the only one who understands me.”
“It has taken me years to gain the wisdom of understanding people. You are just like I was when I was young. A perfect little girl with big dreams. Just follow your heart and be yourself.”
I leaned across the table to grab her hand, “Thank you.”
We spent the rest of the day talking about everything like sports, boys, and school.
Mylee I never met someone who was like me and understood me so well. She said I should keep a diary to track my progress of finding the real me. So I am now on ‘A painstaking journey to find myself.’ I told her about you. She said it was cute how I gave you a name. So this is where I am going to collect my thoughts, hopes, and dreams. I’m lucky to have found both of you. It’s kind of like God threw you both at me at the perfect time. I don’t know what he has in store for the three of us, but I have a feeling its something great. So long for now Mylee.
Smooches. Genevieve.