The Color of Hunger

What is the color of hunger? To pick just one would be impossible. I believe there are many.

The color of hunger is Red. Red for the blood that slowly discontinues, and dries up for lack of nutrients. Red for fights over food, and scratches from vainly searching. For children’s mouths, like baby bird’s, open and crying.

The color of hunger is Orange. For the flame of hunger. The fires of rage and starvation.

The color of hunger is Yellow. Like the eyes that look, searching for something. Something to satiate the body connected. Yellow for broken dreams, for drought.

The color of hunger is Green. Green of envy, a want for something just out of reach. Something we can not have.

The color of hunger is Blue. For the unfeeling sky. The loneliness. Blue for needing something, someone more.

The color of hunger is Indigo. Indigo like stained fabric; for Kings. Indigo for lust of power, and the willingness to destroy in search of fulfillment.

The color of hunger is Violet. Violet for hope. Like butterfly wings, painting the sky after a hard day. The need, the hope, of new beginnings.

kristinn1229 said...
This was amazing!   I can really see the pain of people suffering from hunger after reading this.

Sarah9910 said...
Wow. this poem brought tears to my eyes. Such descriptive words, amazing.