Center Stage | Teen Ink

Center Stage

June 3, 2008
By Anonymous

Auditions


Sunday

OH MY GOSH!! I’m so jittery that my stomach feels like it has giant bunnies hopping around in it! Okay, maybe I can do this. Yes! No! No! Yes! Oh, I don’t know.

The reason why I’m freaking out, like some crazy maniac, is because the auditions for my dance school’s recital are in less than 2 HOURS!!!! This year the ballet is going to be Swan Lake. The main part is for a girl, Odette, and it’s been my dream role, since I was like nine. It also means a lot to me because this is my senior year (sob, sob), so unless I get into a professional company, I may never dance again. (Wail) The problem is there aren’t very many ballet companies in Des Moines, Iowa for me to dance with. Uh-oh! Auditions are in 20 minutes!!! I’ve got to prepare myself. Oh who am I kidding, I’ll never be prepared!

Later

That was a great audition, but I know I’ll be regretting that sentence in the morning. All I want to do is shower and sleep, so I’ll finish later.

Monday

Today, I’m just a little cranky because I fell asleep without dinner. Plus, my parents woke me up at 10:30 to do my TRIGONOMETRY HOMEWORK! Now that I’ve gotten that out of my system (yeah right! ) I’ll start exactly where I left off. (If you were watching this on TV the edges would get all fuzzy as I remember, haha!)

When I realized I was going to be late, I pulled my long, brunette hair into a bun, highlighted my deep, aquamarine eyes with eye shadow, and put a touch of clear gloss on my lips. I already had my new leotard on, so I rushed out of the house, and jumped into my bright, scarlet BMW. As I arrived to class I was aware that my teachers, Melissa and Ethan were watching me. First, they asked us to call out our names one by one, so they could make sure they had a judging sheet ready for us. When I croaked out my name, Natalya Randal, I winced in sheer agony. We started with simple combinations at the barre, and as their difficulty level increased the more I relaxed. (Well, not really, but I at least felt more at ease) After barre was over, we moved to the center to stretch out. Just as I was perfectly centered in my right split, they brought out their clipboards, or at least I caught a glimpse of them for the first time. This made me so nervous that I had to take a few deep breaths to keep from hyperventilating. In the center, Missy taught us different dances that we would be performing in the ballet. When I performed Odette’s solo during the coda, I fell in LOVE! We don’t get the results until sometime in the next few weeks, but for now I’m very confident.
Okay, maybe not!


Thursday

Ugh! This week we have to take finals! I hate finals because they’re so humdrum! I seriously need to have a long talk with the person who invented these so called finals, and convince them they’re no good. At least I have one bright spot in my week, my best friend Emily and I are going shopping for prom dresses! I’m really excited for the dance aspect of prom. Though, my mind is really focused on the dress. This is because my mom is helping me pay for the dress! This week I also get to spend some quality mother daughter time with my mom, because we have to dig out all my old scrapbooks and junk for my graduation party. This shouldn’t be too displeasing, because I was a pretty cute kid!  At least all of this stuff is keeping my life so hectic that I won’t be thinking about the auditions. If I do every mistake I made will be going through my head. Oops! I shouldn’t have said that, here come the mistakes! 


Friday

The most embarrassing thing happened to me today. Okay, maybe it wasn’t the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened, but it was humiliating! We were just finishing up our last finals, and I’d already finished. I went to the front of the room to sharpen my pencil, but by mistake I took a pen. So there I was sticking a pen in the pencil sharpener! The sharpener started making this really funky noise, and all of a sudden a little spark shot up. By this time everyone was watching me and giving me strange looks. When I took the pen out everybody burst into laughter!! Now that I look back on it, I find it hilarious, but at the time, I was close to tears!

Monday

This summer I want to continue my ballet training at an intensive. I just found out that I’ve been accepted to the American Ballet Theater’s Summer Intensives!!! This is fantastic, and could be exactly what I need to kick-start my dancing career. But, my mother is completely against the idea. She’s all about college, and I think that secretly she wishes that she never started me with dance lessons. I also think it’s the money. It costs a lot to go to this intensive, plus we also have to pay for pointe shoes (I go through a $40 pair in about 3 weeks), but this is my dream! Why won’t she understand?

Wednesday

My mom still won’t understand! I’ve pleaded and pleaded to pay for half, but she won’t listen. This is eating away at me! I’ve tried everything to change her mind, but she still won’t budge! This situation has been stressing me out so much too that I got a huge zit in the middle of my forehead. I don’t get it, I mean zits come when you’re stressing out, and then you get even more stressed out because you have a zit!! Where’s the logic in this?